General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM
TNReb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs

New guy here. Been lurking a while and just bought my first bike this weekend. I quickly discovered ear plugs are the way to go with a half helmet and no windshield.

I did a search, and see a lot of people recommend Hearos ear plugs, but I couldn't find if anyone has used the High Fidelity ones in particular.

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-High-Fi...8499045&sr=8-4

I have several pairs of different ear plugs around the house, and they all work fine... but I was just curious if these would allow me to still hear a little more of what's going on and still kill the wind noise?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I use ear plugs made for swimming I get from CVS. They look similar and are bright orange. They work great. I dislike the foam ones as they don't keep enough wind out for my taste.

Drew

Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some Hearos but I don't think they are "high fidelity". I got them at Walmart and they were not expensive. I like them. They're softer than the orange ones they sell in the sporting goods area.

I also have some custom fitted earplugs, in fact I just picked up a second set today. Custom fitted one cost me $85 out the door including the fitting session. They're more comfortable and give terrific sound reduction but they can create a booming sort of sensation if anything touches your ear while riding. In my case the Harley vibrates at idle and shakes the helmet around enough to make the helmet touch my ears. The audiologist said it's called occlusion and sometimes people who use hearing aids have the same problem. The custom set of earplugs I received today are "ventilated". They have a tiny hole/passageway in them and it stops the booming feeling but don't reduce the sound intensity as well as the non-ventilated ones. I haven't tried them riding yet.

One thing I can tell you is tinnitus sucks. My bone stock Road King gave me tinnitus after a long ride and it's been over six months now and my ears ring every day. It's permanent when you get it. I won't ride without earplugs now but since the damage is already done I guess I'll be living with it the rest of my life.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TNReb
I have several pairs of different ear plugs around the house, and they all work fine... but I was just curious if these would allow me to still hear a little more of what's going on and still kill the wind noise?
Absolutely! I don't use them for riding (I wear a 3/4 w/face shield), but I do use the hi-fi hearos at concerts. I have a friend in the business so, I go to a lot of LOUD shows and I would not be without them. They filter out all of the "bad stuff" but still allow you to hear everything - not muffled or muted or anything like that. They're awesome and definitely the best $15 I've EVER spent.