General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read The Sonny Barger Book,,

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Read The Sonny Barger Book,,

,,,,,,The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club.

Interesting, although it was full of contradictory ideas.

One thing is crystal clear. Sonny Barger was a leader. No matter WHAT the venue, this guy was gonna run the show. Coulda been Microsoft, coulda been HA.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 AM
nutter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats probly one of my favorite books. i thaught it was interesting that he mentions how the club started in my home town. i also read "ridin high livin free" by barger and the zimmermans, its not about HA but storys about all bikers. the kind of storys youde hear from the stranger next to you at the bar

Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah great books except they were written by two Brits who don't understand American culture. But anything by or about Sonny is a-ok in my book...

Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting read but taken with a grain of salt. I read a lot and it is always interesting to read different points of views to the same events.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read Hell’s Angel a long time ago – haven’t picked up any of the newer ones….. may have to. I’m not much of a reader to be honest. LOL

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess he doesn't ride a Harley anymore so this thread is in the wrong section of the forum. I could care less about the guy.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
I guess he doesn't ride a Harley anymore so this thread is in the wrong section of the forum. I could care less about the guy.
You had to bring that up, din't cha?
Now Shu is gonna have to spoil the thread by posting that stupid 'Sonny B on a spaceship' picture again....

Old 06-19-2011, 03:16 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
You had to bring that up, din't cha?
Now Shu is gonna have to spoil the thread by posting that stupid 'Sonny B on a spaceship' picture again....
Oh **** someone saw through my motive. Shu should be posting it up any minute now.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,989 Likes on 17,899 Posts

Books are written to sell copies that also means they are not always as truthful or as factual as the authors would have you believe , those little details don't make for good reading . I've had a few face to face conversations with the man and we weren't at book signings so a little advice , don't be suckered by everything in print .

Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Met him 42 years ago at the Haight-Ashbury Medical Clinic. He was there to pick up someone he knew who fell off his bike on Oak Street. My then-old lady was working there at the time. Sonny -- and his friends -- were straight up, no hassles, no attitude just taking care of business. Said thank you and walked the guy out to a car and that was that.

That same old lady got damn near raped one night walking home from the clinic. Some thug from the next neighborhood. The San Francisco club -- who came around the Haight some back then -- heard of it from Dr. Dave at the clinic and made a very big point of walking her home after work for a few days. Funny sight, this little red head walking with two very big guys who parked their well-known putts in front of the clinic.

Word got back to the Fillmore via the street and no one got near her again. Those guys have been gold in my book since then and that's a lot of years.

Quick Reply: Read The Sonny Barger Book,,