Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 AM
jetti265
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable tourpak

They are telling me at Harley that i cant detach my tourpak fltruse 2011
because of the wiring?? Please advise.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I am not sure what and FLTRUSE is but, my Ultra has wires that run to the lights on the tour pack, and the speaker wires. The speaker wires are quick disconnect and the connection is located in the speaker housing, a gently pull will expose it. As far as the wires to the lights, there are 3 wires which need to be separated and a quick disconnect installed. I used a "flat four" trailer connector and wired it in line using only 3 of the 4 wires. Works like a charm.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tell that to all the guys that have done it.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As said above, just use quick connect wires and it's no problem. I had the tourpak off my Electra Glide most of the time, but when it came to a road trip it was there in about two minutes and ready to go.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They can tell you anything, its up to you to find out the truth and thats why this forum is so good... yes you can detach a tourpak with some minor wiring and a connector or two it is easily detachable.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FLTRUSE is a Screamin Eagle bike. The problem with this is that it has an audio amplifier mounted to the bottom of the Tour Pak. This is fed by a 24 pin connector. If you disconnect the amp you loose sound to both the front and rear speakers. You would have the option of mounting the amplifier inside the right saddlebag, but that is a pretty big job in itself. You also have many more electrical connections going to the Tour Pak than an Ultra CLassic. You have your LED light and your electric lock wires to contend with.
So the responses above may apply to removing the Tour Pak on a Classic or Ultra Classic, It doesn't apply to your bike. I've done a removable tour pack on my last two Ultras and willnot even consider doing it on my FLTRUSE

Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
reddog76
6th Gear

has anyone had an issue with the chrome seat grab-bar with the removable tour pack kit? i am currently installing this kit and the tour pack will not remove when the grab bar is installed (under the seat the bracket is bolted) the rear speakers hit it and will not allow the "lifting" from the back. do I need to remove it and not have it on the bike? This is an 03 Ultra...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

I have a converted Road Glide into an Ultra and the audio amp is under the tourpak. It can be done but looks like a PITA.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetti265
They are telling me at Harley that i cant detach my tourpak fltruse 2011
because of the wiring?? Please advise.
That says a lot about the quality the Harley Davidson "mechanic" if he cannot disconnect the tourpak.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM
reddog76
6th Gear

still have the upper question on the chrome grab bar... Also, I am in process of picking a CB in fairing antenna. I see the JM FPA-HJCB (with 2 wires besides the actual antenna wire) and the FPA-HCCB ( with 3 wires besides the actual antenna wire). one of these is the ground wire on both antennas. the others are what appears to be the direct connection for the radio / CB. My question is "does the three wire setup allow me to still plug in my original CB wiring to the tour pack" and will this CB antenna work for my 2003 Ultra? The FPA-HCCB shows an installation on 2006 and later models and the FPA-HJCB shows 1995 and later models> WIll the HJCB work on my 2003?? seems the only difference is the ability to still plug in the original wiring harness for the tour pack antenna. beats taking the fairing apart again if decision is to use tour pack antenna connection for perhaps a better signal on long trips...
Thanks guys for any advise here. I am totally new to HD forum and look forward to lots of expert info from the guys in the know... Thanks for taking me in. I am a weed-hopper but a fast learner to HD. Finally got my first Ultra after all these years... and a goodone it is. ) anniversary Silver & Black with all the trimmings, STAGE 1, gold wheels, gold key edition. (pics later...)

Quick Reply: Detachable tourpak