General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i stop this bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 AM
lazosb
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i stop this bike

Hey all,
im hoping someone here has some knowledge about upgrading or getting a Duo glide to stop. I've just bought this bike (few months ago) and im to scared to take it on the road, as the front brakes really don’t stop. Not sure if its because im comparing it to my Jap bike that has disk brake and hydraulic front end or that this bike is not set up right. It has the original drum brake and cable controlled lever. Is there a way to change it to at least a hydraulic front end but retain the drum brake? In theory the drum brake should stop better than disk as there is more contact surface area than disks but no matter how hard I grab the brake all it does is slightly slow the bike. I get more stopping power from the rear. As 70% braking is done via the front this is just not good. Ive seen people put disks on the front of the duo glides but it really ruins the look of this bike. Could it be that my set up is just wrong? I did adjust the brakes as specified int he workshop manual but it only made a slight difference. Also you need to grab it very hard.
On a side note when I pull the clutch in I get a kind of slight grinding noise. Is there a thrust baring that is easy to change without taring down or pulling out the transmit ion? Sorry for the long-winded story. Hope someone can help though. By the way it’s a 1958 duo glide.
Thanks again

Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I highly recommend www.caimag.com, but most folks there will want you to keep it stock, LOL.

You can always add disc brakes.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

So, from your sig I presume it is a panhead Duo Glide?

Front brake...
58 is first year swingarm, first year hydraulic rear. Front has a drum brake. There is no conversion parts to convert a front drum to a hydraulic set up. HD used that front end set up from 49-E77

Disc set ups did not appear until 73 models. Would require different hub and axle components as well as sliders and brake controls, brake lines and a bunch of other small parts.

I have seen pics of folks using later softail front ends as a complete swap to get a modern front end with better stopping power (I think 90-something softail front ends?)

Granted old style brakes are not as good as the new stuff but it should not be an effort to stop. When was the last time the brake linings were redone? Think I would pull it and inspect them if you have adjusted them per the manual and it only slows, but not stops the bike. And if you replace the linings be sure to have the drum turned at the same time. provides a nice clean mating surface when you put it back together and do the adjustments.

Clutch grinding
You haven't said if it is a foot shift or hand shift assembly. You have given no history of the bike so it is a bit of a crap shoot here. Could be something as simple as a linkage adjustment to the mousetrap or tank shift components and rods. Could be something in the clutch hub components. Could be a problem in the top or bottom end of the tranny itself.

Since you have a manual, you might want to disassemble the clutch hub assembly and inspect the components, clean everything, put it back together and readjust per the manual. This is especially true if the bike has set for a while.

Have you seen the bike running before you bought it? Did the prior owner run it through the gears? Did he have any problems with it?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,306 Likes on 5,872 Posts

You will never get a cable operated drum brake to stop anywhere close to a modern hydraulic disc brake. If it is set up correctly it will stop the bike OK, but will take some getting used to. On those bikes you have to get in the habit of downshifting to slow the bike in a hurry. The grinding noise sounds like the throwout bearing...pretty easy to replace

Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

cool bike....would love to see a picture

Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Check your Brake shoes....
And I second useing the engine and down shifting to start your Brakeing sequence.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by lazosb
Hey all,
im hoping someone here has some knowledge about upgrading or getting a Duo glide to stop. I've just bought this bike (few months ago) and im to scared to take it on the road, as the front brakes really don’t stop. Not sure if its because im comparing it to my Jap bike that has disk brake and hydraulic front end or that this bike is not set up right. It has the original drum brake and cable controlled lever. Is there a way to change it to at least a hydraulic front end but retain the drum brake? In theory the drum brake should stop better than disk as there is more contact surface area than disks but no matter how hard I grab the brake all it does is slightly slow the bike. I get more stopping power from the rear. As 70% braking is done via the front this is just not good. Ive seen people put disks on the front of the duo glides but it really ruins the look of this bike. Could it be that my set up is just wrong? I did adjust the brakes as specified int he workshop manual but it only made a slight difference. Also you need to grab it very hard.
On a side note when I pull the clutch in I get a kind of slight grinding noise. Is there a thrust baring that is easy to change without taring down or pulling out the transmit ion? Sorry for the long-winded story. Hope someone can help though. By the way it’s a 1958 duo glide.
Thanks again
It's never going to stop like a disk will. I had one that seemed to take forever to get it stopped. You get used to it, but being comfortable with it doesn't make the stopping distance any better. My suggestion is to at least get a disk on the rear where it doesn't show. Old bike, old technology and it's never going to get good as long as you have the drum.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was leading shoe technology being applied to the Harley brake shoes back then? With some older cars it is possible to put the brake shoes in backwards which give you poor braking performance going forward and great braking in reverse. Just grabbing at straws here.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:01 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

They went to disk brakes for a reason.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,392 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Originally Posted by lazosb
Hey all,
Thanks again
Stops just fine you just need to know how to ride it. We rode with them for many years.
Riders are spoiled now they want the bike to ride by it's self stop with mind control.
Drum brakes front and rear fun you need a few skills like drying them in the rain. Clean the rust off it they been sitting adjusted right

Quick Reply: how do i stop this bike