General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military and PPE

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military and PPE

Are there any Military riders that ignore the req to wear the long sleeve, high vis, full finger gloves, glasses, and DOT helemet.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
sonnyq1976
Cruiser

I wear all of it except for the hi vis. vest. i only wear when i go on post.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM
capttxrngr
Cruiser
Default $500,000 question

After spending nearly 24 years in the Army and seeing how it works I do wear what is required by regulations. Everything mentioned accept the vest is require by regs. The vest is added by the particular posts. Some say reflective belt or vest, others say hi-vis vest or jacket. Reason being, if something was to happen and I had an accident which killed me I do not want to give the military any excuse not to pay my wife. Some may say that can't happen. But I have seen it happen. If a Soldier gets killed in an accident and is DUI or does not follow regs then the Army/Military can with hold payment of benefits. Better safe than sorry.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 PM
combat_doc
Cruiser

only wear what i feel i need off post

Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I wear it all except the hi-vis also. I just bought a long sleeve white Under Armor shirt to satisfy the daytime on post requirement. All DOD reg says is brightly colored upper garment must be worn.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Default Bright Color

RIght now I am using one the Harley Hi vis vests, but Im a Virginia Tech Fan, so Im about to get a bright orange long sleeve and use that to meet the req.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by capttxrngr
After spending nearly 24 years in the Army and seeing how it works I do wear what is required by regulations. Everything mentioned accept the vest is require by regs. The vest is added by the particular posts. Some say reflective belt or vest, others say hi-vis vest or jacket. Reason being, if something was to happen and I had an accident which killed me I do not want to give the military any excuse not to pay my wife. Some may say that can't happen. But I have seen it happen. If a Soldier gets killed in an accident and is DUI or does not follow regs then the Army/Military can with hold payment of benefits. Better safe than sorry.
This is good advice...

Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Moops
Tourer

I've been known to skirt the regs from time to time. Always where the helmet though.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
jlroark79
6th Gear

As a military member and rider myself, I can tell you best to follow all requirements off base. even a basic accident can wind up costing you money. When I was hit head on two years ago, the first question the military doctors asked was whether or not i was wearing my PPE cause if not, tricare wouldn't have covered my medical expenses. I came off very lucky and was able to walk out of the hospital that same day. Since the EMT's too all my stuff off in the ambulance I had proper proof of all my PPE, even goggles. My base doesn't require the High Vis vest or rreflective belt as it has been proven not to do anything to improve safety (I was wearing one when I got hit head on while on two lane road in the middle of the day). Just my .02 .

Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Tuckandme2
Stage II

I wear all the PPE. Usually take the vest off after leaving base or go with a white long sleeved shirt.

Quick Reply: Military and PPE