General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one, choicees to make,help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:22 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Which one, choicees to make,help

LOOKING AT A COUPLE NEW HARLEYS, WENT IN TO LOOK AT AND PURCHASE A NEW ROADKING OF WHICH I AM THE MOST FAMILIAR. I AM58 YEARS OLD AND RIDE 2 UP 75% of the time and 90% day trips in the Smokies after salesman qualified what i was interested in and where i would be riding, he suggested a ride on a heritage softail, i was impressed. cant decide on roadking or heritage softail. What pro's and cons, from both sides, I LOVE ROADKINGS, BUT AT MY AGE THEY ARE A HAND FULL AND THE SOFTAIL MAY BE EASIER TO RIDE NOW THAT I AM MORE LOCAL RIDING. I HADNT CONSIDERED A SOFTAIL AT ALL, BUT NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Last edited by checkers; 06-17-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Only you can decide. I love my softail but have been thinking about an Ultra so go figure.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by walkerinin
Only you can decide. I love my softail but have been thinking about an Ultra so go figure.
I HEAR YOU, I OWNED A 2005 ROADKING CUSTOM AND A 2007 E/GLIDE, BOTH GREAT BIKES, BUT THE TOUR BIKES ARE MORE TO HANDLE THEN I FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH 5 YAERS AGO, NO PROBLEM NOW A BIT MORE. I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE FLH SERIES AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SOFTAIL, THATS WHY I'M FISHING

Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THE BASICS:
If your going to do day trips 2 up most of the time, and you have concerns about the RK as "being a handful" I suggest the Heritage Softail.

There is no doubt that the RK is the "King of the Road", and while suitable for day trips, really suits the longer distance rider.

FOR THOUGHT:
You say your more familiar with the RK-- what are your real concerns? Heavy bike may tip/fall over? Wife not an experienced passenger? Sea too tall?

THE King will provide comfort over the Heritage so maybe if you consider the Q's above you might find an answer.. size issues are fixable with seats, bars, etc.
Riding courses will help confidence.

Just some food for thought.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

softail is easier to ride than the king....that you are correct on. softail is a slightly smaller bike as well. I have a bum leg and owned a softail custom, and rode a couple of roadkings before I bought my Crossroads. I'd go for the heritage myself

Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Which one feels best? The Heritage is going to sit you lower, but your wife may not like the way it puts her up higher than you - my wife doesn't want to ride on the back of a softail at all. For that reason, the Road King might work best. I like softails, but might not if I was doing a lot of 2-up riding.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Test ride them both at the least. Rent each one and ride it for a full day. Take your wife along if you feel comfortable doing that. Only you will know what feels comfortable for you. I went through all of that and then test road and rented several. I chose the Road Glide Ultra and am happy with the choice. But.....your butt is your butt and you need to put it on each bike and ride. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
LOOKING AT A COUPLE NEW HARLEYS, WENT IN TO LOOK AT AND PURCHASE A NEW ROADKING OF WHICH I AM THE MOST FAMILIAR. I AM58 YEARS OLD AND RIDE 2 UP 75% of the time and 90% day trips in the Smokies after salesman qualified what i was interested in and where i would be riding, he suggested a ride on a heritage softail, i was impressed. cant decide on roadking or heritage softail. What pro's and cons, from both sides, I LOVE ROADKINGS, BUT AT MY AGE THEY ARE A HAND FULL AND THE SOFTAIL MAY BE EASIER TO RIDE NOW THAT I AM MORE LOCAL RIDING. I HADNT CONSIDERED A SOFTAIL AT ALL, BUT NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK??
ALL GOOD COMMENTS, THX FELLAS. PURCHASED A 2011 HERITAGE SOFT TAIL TODAY, TRADED MY 2007 VTX 1800T SPECC 2 HONDA. DEALER VERY AGGRESSIVE ON TRADE CALL AND SELLING PRICE, DID WELL AND WILL BE BACK ON THIS BOARD AGAIN.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Congratulations. You'll love the Heritage.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Well done--I'm sure you will get all kinds of enjoyment from your new ride! Now get out there and ride...and do come back!

Quick Reply: Which one, choicees to make,help