General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
daurwid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane??!?!

So here I was on my Street Bob about 3/4 of the way home from work two nights (evenings should have been the chosen word, please interpret as 6:15PM Eastern Standard Time, during June, 2011 and it was extremely still daylight out as sunset on that day was approximately 8:45PM) ago going about 55mph down Rt. 20 a two lane highway, one lane for each direction. As I reach this very long straight stretch of road at least 1.5 miles before the next hill before my turn. It is very easy to see down this stretch in both directions therefore easy to see if oncoming traffic will stop you from being able to take a chance to pass. Both sides of the road during this stretch get a chance to use the other lane as a passing lane.

I come up to the start of a line of vehicles. First are 2 small honda civic types, then a SUV, another small car, SUV then an 18 wheeler and one small car which I could not see at the end of the line behind the 18 wheeler initially. They all had a good distance between each vehicle, so it wasn't like they were stacked or moving really slow either. As I get closer to the front of the first car of the line, the small car in the rear hops out from behind 18 wheeler at the start of the passing stretch for MY side. I am pretty sure the *** didn't even look before attempting.

Now the guy has time, obviously sees me, I've got three lights up front facing him and I'm riding in my "left" lane. I continue to watch in bewilderment as the car still continues to attempt to pass the 18 wheeler. I honk my horn and then I hear the 18 wheeler honk his air horn a few times.

At this point, there's not a lot of time, I'm already hitting my brakes and moving over to the edge of the highway on the right. The *** does not even flinch and proceeds to use the whole lane forcing me completely onto the shoulder, no brakes, no slowing down, no attempt to even get back behind the 18 wheeler.

I am glad I was being careful and I'm a defensive rider. I'm still a novice by far when it comes to motorcycle riding. I have never had this scary of an incident before. I've had people look at me, head acknowledge me and decide to pull out in front of me anyways. This just takes the cake.

I guess my question to everyone here is, did I do something wrong to cause this to occur? Or was the passing car just being an bad driver?

Thanks and I'm still glad to be here to post this message.

Last edited by daurwid; 06-16-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You were on a motorcycle, sometimes that's enough wrong.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel like somethings wrong/right with the universe if I don't have the opportunity to cheat death each and every time I ride. We're far outnumbered, and cage drivers couldn't give less a damn about us any way you look at it.
Back in the Seventies I rode like I couldn't be seen. Today I ride like they're all just waiting for me to get close so they can try to kill me! I swear it helps to ride like that.
It doesn't matter so much how long you've been riding so much as staying aware of the possibilities of incident.
my $0.02

aka Bob

Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me last Sunday, only, I was in my car and the other guy was a bike. He tried passing a car while approching the crest of a hill, in a no passing zone. I came over the top and seen this bike coming up to meet the front of my car. I cut it hard right and drove on the berm to miss him. His buddies, still riding behind the car, were all smiling and one was even laughing Guess they didn't like the guy that much.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to me, and it is amazing how oblivious and stupid people can be on the road. Glad you're okay.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get used to being "Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane".
It happened to me again today on the way to work-- I met a bicycle coming the other way on a curve, & an instant later there was a car passing the bicycle. I guess he knew if there was a bicycle in his lane it was OK to use mine.
By the way, if I had been in a cage, there would have been a crash.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM
bottlefed89
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to sound like a wanna-be-bada$$, but I'd have defenitely wheeled around and followed him to discuss the situation with him...

Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

thats why i carry a few old spark plugs in my front pocket. Easy access, and then "whoops oh my god a spark plug fell out of my pocket and hit your car" geez thats too bad for you buddy that just tried to push me off the road. I just keep on going in my direction just like he does except he has a big dent in his car, and i just smile and keep riding... those old plugs are good for something ....

Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
Get used to being "Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane".
It happened to me again today on the way to work-- I met a bicycle coming the other way on a curve, & an instant later there was a car passing the bicycle. I guess he knew if there was a bicycle in his lane it was OK to use mine.
By the way, if I had been in a cage, there would have been a crash.
"Well you have plenty of room in your lane"....I'll sh*t you not, I had someone say that to me one time. If it wasn't a woman, I would've slapped the taste out her mouth.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 AM
fullmetaljerk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loud Pipes Save Lives. But sometimes a carry permit does too...

Quick Reply: Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane??!?!