General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not taking sides but in your post you mentioned night time and your three lights you had on. Many people at night mistake a bike with all its lights on as a car which they perceive to be much farther away. The driving lights being so close together makes it look like you are a car in the distance instead of a bike much closer.

Michael

Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain

Loud Pipes Save Lives. But sometimes a carry permit does too...
thats why i carry a few old spark plugs in my front pocket.
I see alot of chains bashing windshields, whips hitting car drivers and car doors being kicked in at 70 mph on here.
I'm surprised that as much as I see responses such as these on this forum that I don't see actual cases of these things on the news.

Michael

Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by bp_shooter123
I see alot of chains bashing windshields, whips hitting car drivers and car doors being kicked in at 70 mph on here.
I'm surprised that as much as I see responses such as these on this forum that I don't see actual cases of these things on the news.

Michael
Here ya go....

http://www.neverboredonline.com/showthread.php?t=6034

Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM
elk0942
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You survived that's what's important!

I've had things like that happen more than once, scares the crap outa me but.....expect the unexpected...... "they" are out to kill you. As my wife constantly reminds me, it's better to be alive than right and dead.

If I see a line of cars like that now, I move over to the right third instead of riding in the left third of my lane and turn on the headlight modulator. I figure the cars toward the back of the line might, if they are looking, be able to see me better.

Don't know if that's what your suppose to do according to the experts but I don't care either.

Ed

Ride Safe and stay alive

Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

baptism under fire....you'll get your leg hit at traffic lights by someone easing by you to make a right turn, bumped, stuff thrown at you by the car in front of you and cars taking up the same parking space as you and so on....up to you on how to pursue it....a friend told me once a revolver leaves no shell casings and when a body is thrown in a pig pen there's no evidence left other than dental hardware....the last part is just for humor and should not be attempted without adult supervision......ride safe and good luck.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

ELK- I always do that.Around here ..especially on a nearby road people ride in "dogpacks" its stupid because its hilly and theres no where to pass.You might as well just hang back like the big trucks do.You are gonna get there basically the same time anyway.Cars always pop out of the dogpacks trying to make there move,and its always hammer down for them because theyre pretty much committed at that point.
Im surprised a cop doesnt stop me for weaving in the road because i even though i stay in my lane i often go from left to right depending on what is coming up.i dont even think about it anymore it just comes natural to try an avoid potential accidents.----hell ive even seen backup lights coming at me in my lane when some numskull missed his turn.Evidently its ok to just stop in your lane and go in reverse.----be aware people and trust no one.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
MB-WideGlide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happens to me a least once a week ,I don't know what there thinking .
I just slow down and go on the shoulder so I don't get hit.I give them that WTF look but there to f----ing dumb to no they were in the wrong.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
daurwid
Tourer

Originally Posted by bp_shooter123
Not taking sides but in your post you mentioned night time and your three lights you had on. Many people at night mistake a bike with all its lights on as a car which they perceive to be much farther away. The driving lights being so close together makes it look like you are a car in the distance instead of a bike much closer.

Michael
Sorry, I said two nights ago. I get off work at 6PM. Evenings should have been the chosen word, please interpret as 6:15PM Eastern Standard Time, during June, 2011 and it was extremely still daylight out as sunset on that day was approximately 8:45PM.

I reference the three lights on the front of my bike due to the fog lamps I have being on as well as headlamp. I have found that more lights tend to help keep people from cutting me off. Highbeam by itself however doesn't work the same way.

I would only agree with you if it was pitch black outside about the car in the distance but that was not the case, no clouds, not overcast, bright sunny evening after work.
And even then I would have a hard time agreeing to the fact of seeing three lights, in a triangular formation as a car in the distance, it would make me go, huh? and be inclined to see what it is and not jump into it's lane to pass an 18 wheeler in front of me. Oh right, that's if I even looked down the other lane at all before attempting to pass like a good driver should do. Sigh.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
thats why i carry a few old spark plugs in my front pocket. Easy access, and then "whoops oh my god a spark plug fell out of my pocket and hit your car" geez thats too bad for you buddy that just tried to push me off the road. I just keep on going in my direction just like he does except he has a big dent in his car, and i just smile and keep riding... those old plugs are good for something ....
steel ball bearings work better

Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like ton and a half truck lug nuts myself.

Last edited by Squirrel67; 06-16-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane??!?!