General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I travel all over the U.S. and Canada as a Truck Driver and see this type of thing a lot. I had what you described happen to me in Canada and had to take the shoulder, and that was another Semi. I don't know what goes through peoples heads when they get behind the wheel of a car or truck but I always expect the worst case scenario to become a reality.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronAss
I travel all over the U.S. and Canada as a Truck Driver and see this type of thing a lot. I had what you described happen to me in Canada and had to take the shoulder, and that was another Semi. I don't know what goes through peoples heads when they get behind the wheel of a car or truck but I always expect the worst case scenario to become a reality.

You truckers really take a lot of crap from incompetent drivers. I see you guys are always getting cut off.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just the opposite happened to me recently. I was stuck behind a car and 18 wheeler. I saw the oncoming car and knew I had time to pass. A good half mile down the road the oncoming car decides I must be suicidal and pulls off the road at full speed kicking out rocks and dirt onto the roadway that I ran into doing 60.

I had made my pass and was back in my lane almost a 1/4 mile away from that guy when he felt "threatened" and pull to the roadside.

Yesterday the girl at the corner pulling a left in front of me didn't even stop. She looked me in the eye and pulled out at the last minute, all while talking on her phone. I was close enough to tell you she had a blackberry.

I always ride like there's a target on me.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Some people aren't very good at judging the distance required to pass, some just don't pay attention. I've had that type of thing happen, after every time I stop and check that my lights are working.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
thats why i carry a few old spark plugs in my front pocket. Easy access, and then "whoops oh my god a spark plug fell out of my pocket and hit your car" geez thats too bad for you buddy that just tried to push me off the road. I just keep on going in my direction just like he does except he has a big dent in his car, and i just smile and keep riding... those old plugs are good for something ....
Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
"Well you have plenty of room in your lane"....I'll sh*t you not, I had someone say that to me one time. If it wasn't a woman, I would've slapped the taste out her mouth.
See, I would have slapped the sh*t out of her anyway. I cannot and will not tolerate stupid.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daurwid
I guess my question to everyone here is, did I do something wrong to cause this to occur? Or was the passing car just being an bad driver?
Maybe you just looked like somebody who would get off the road and wonder if it was your fault...as opposed to somebody who would go back and follow the guy uintil he stopped and kick his ***?

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Just the opposite happened to me recently. I was stuck behind a car and 18 wheeler. I saw the oncoming car and knew I had time to pass. A good half mile down the road the oncoming car decides I must be suicidal and pulls off the road at full speed kicking out rocks and dirt onto the roadway that I ran into doing 60.

I had made my pass and was back in my lane almost a 1/4 mile away from that guy when he felt "threatened" and pull to the roadside.

Yesterday the girl at the corner pulling a left in front of me didn't even stop. She looked me in the eye and pulled out at the last minute, all while talking on her phone. I was close enough to tell you she had a blackberry.

I always ride like there's a target on me.
I've had both of those happen. We make it way too easy to get and keep a license in this country.

Last edited by brenn; 06-16-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=harleyguy5571;8459911]"Well you have plenty of room in your lane"....

Old 06-16-2011, 01:12 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fullmetaljerk
... But sometimes a carry permit does too...
Exactly how would a firearm have helped you in this situation?

This ought to be good.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
Exactly how would a firearm have helped you in this situation?

This ought to be good.
I'm think'in if we got to explain it to you, being a Big City Boy you just would not understand.

Quick Reply: Pushed Off Road For A Cage Wanting To Pass In Oncoming Lane??!?!