General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financing a bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Umby
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Financing a bike

Hey everyone.

So, I am at a crossroads.

I am a newer rider with my first bike that is a very nice custom 1999 XL1200C.

I also happen to be 6'1" and the fit is a little snug.

I was looking to purchase a newer, lower mileage sporty a couple of weeks ago BUT I happened to show up at the dealership on a demo day and figured "what the hell." Big mistake. I rode a Dyna and found what I had been missing in a well fitting bike.

Anyway, if I sell my sporty and add the cash I have saved up I can either purchase a well used older Dyna or Softail for cash OR I can trade in my bike and add some cash and wind up putting about 60-70% down on newer, lower mileage Dyna. I'm kinda leaning toward the "you only live once" mentality and getting the newer bike but I'm not a huge fan of financing.

Just looking for some opinions.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umby I think you answered your own Q in the last 8 words being - "but I'm not a huge fan of financing."

I think it all depends on how much older you will have to go to get a good ride. Nothing wrong with older HD's and there are some very well priced not too old Dyna's out there.

Shop, Shop, Shop around before you commit to anything. "Cash is King" anywhere in the world.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Well, it kinda depends on how you want to live your life. There's two camps, those who believe you can't go through life without credit and those who believe you should go through life only ever financing the bare minimums required in order to buy a house. If you could swing paying cash for a house, that would even be preferable in some people's eyes.

Look at it like an investment. Is the value of having a new bike, with a monthly payment attached worth the finance cost over having an older but still completely functional bike which is paid off?

I bring it up this way simply because I've been down the financing road, and believe me, I'll never finance another vehicle again. Heck, I'll never buy new again for that matter. The depreciation for the privilege of driving it off the lot for the first time just isn't worth the capital, in my opinion, anymore.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Umby
Cruiser

Its definitely food for thought. The idea of something newer, low mileage, and possibly with a warranty for what would be a pretty nominal payment is somewhat appealing... But on the other hand I own pretty much everything else outright so its a tough call

Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master

I vote for the less expensive clean used bike with NO bills.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sell your old bike, yourself; don't trade it. Shop for a great deal on a clean, late bike from a private seller. If you're patient and clever, the cost differential will be negligible.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd never have financed a Harley in the States. I just couldn't see paying over $200 monthly for a motorcycle. Here in Japan, however, interest rates are so low, it's hard to pass up the financing, even when you have enough money in the bank to pay cash. I pay 9800 yen a month, which is about 120 USD. Back before the yen overturned the dollar, tho, it was less than $100 a month.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 PM
phaugly
Intermediate

Selling your sporty may not be that easy for the price you want. Right now is the time of year that usually brings top dollar for bikes but due to the economy the market is overflooded and they are a dime a dozen. Look what the sportys are going for on craigslist or ebay and how many there are.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 AM
phaugly
Intermediate

Also for the same reason I'd look for one from a private seller, its a buyers market.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

Go used...there are some great deals out there. In 6 months how will it feel knowing you have a monthly payment on a used bike...remember we ALL ride used motorcycles !

Quick Reply: Financing a bike