General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for bandana thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011 | 06:13 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Do rags are the best. Beat the hell out of bandanas. Especially ones with the sweat band that goes 360 degrees. Fingerless gloves are a must too. Keep the vibes down from the bars, and a firm grip on the controls, when you're riding in high and muggy temps. Plus, those grips get hot when the bike sits.

Not a chaps fan at all though. But to be fair, I do wear a vest. For important stuff like smokes and the alarm remote.

was in FLorida last summer for a short spell before I could go home and ride, MAN the HEAT and humidity was crazy!!!! I see why you would need the 360 sweatband. it was Miami. IS all of FL. that humid in the summer?? I found it just plain unbearable.

Old 06-14-2011 | 07:57 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Bandana keeps my forehead from becoming all pitted from the buggs. Also keeps my forehead from becoming bright red and scalding hot from the wind and the sun.

Full dew rag for when it is colder out as it keeps the top of my head from freeziing, also better in the rain. I usually take either off when I am stopped for a longer period of time unless I am sweating like a pig then both keep sweat from rolling down into my eyes. That and the moisture from the sweat will help keep your head cool which in turn keeps you cool all over.

Or if you are like Axle Rose, you can stuff it with drugs and let it seep through your pores and no one will know. LOL

Old 06-14-2011 | 10:06 AM
nascarteets
Intermediate
Unhappy

I'd wear a bandanna if my head wasn't so friggin' big - I just go with a black do-rag...

Old 06-14-2011 | 12:08 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I wear a do rag under my helmet. I carry a couple of bandanas too because when it rains I wear one around my face like a movie western bank robber to help ease the HD acupuncture on my face.

Old 06-14-2011 | 01:42 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Being in cowboy country I got turned on to "wild rags". Its basically a silk bandana 36" square. Best thing ever. It cuts the cold wind in the winter and keeps the sun off you in the summer and it is large enough for my big head and I ditched my neck shampa thingy because my silk bandana works so well around the neck and isnt bulky.

Old 06-14-2011 | 01:49 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Being in cowboy country I got turned on to "wild rags". Its basically a silk bandana 36" square. Best thing ever. It cuts the cold wind in the winter and keeps the sun off you in the summer and it is large enough for my big head and I ditched my neck shampa thingy because my silk bandana works so well around the neck and isnt bulky.
Those look like basically the cowboy version of the middle eastern shemagh/keffiyeh/dismaal. The middle eastern ones are actually very handy and many of us never went out without one in Afghanistan. I've considered breaking out one for riding, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Old 06-14-2011 | 02:33 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

Originally Posted by Timmy B
was in FLorida last summer for a short spell before I could go home and ride, MAN the HEAT and humidity was crazy!!!! I see why you would need the 360 sweatband. it was Miami. IS all of FL. that humid in the summer?? I found it just plain unbearable.
Lived in Fla for a year, MAN, it can be a biotch with the heat and humidity
I drank then, I think it was a year, IDUNNO

Old 06-14-2011 | 02:49 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by alkay191
Alright, we've had some good vest discussions and I think we're all in disagreement about chaps.
Whats the protocol on bandanas? are they as accepted as doo rags?
Why ya gotta give a shyt about crap like this??

Go take a ride and clear your head....

Old 06-14-2011 | 03:16 PM
Gustapo
Cruiser

I think the point of starting threads is to promote DISCUSSION... And by the looks of the number of responses to this thread, I would say it worked. I don't get the vibe that people are looking for your highly intelligent, non-judgemental, open minded approval...

I for one, also wear what I'm comfortable with without any regard to what people think. A full face modular lid, full leathers (chaps, gauntlet style gloves, jacket, etc.) and in the rain, I don the hunter orange rain gear, and a 250LB flourescent Michelin Man is all you see...

That being said, dew rags are incredibly ghey!!!

*Edit* All toungue-in-cheek intended... No dew rags were harmed in the making of this post.

Old 06-14-2011 | 03:17 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain

As already mentioned, they are versatile and useful, so I like to keep a couple handy when riding.

Quick Reply: Time for bandana thread