General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I buy my totaled bike back from insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default should I buy my totaled bike back from insurance?

Well the insurance finally gave me a price to buy back my totaled 04 Ultra Classic. I am trying to decide if I want to or not. they are saying I acn get if for $4618.00. The bike has $2500 in motor improvements as of last year and has 70k miles on the rest of it.

The frame has a small tear where the crash bar mount plate is about 1/2" long. They said the frame would have to be replaced which the threw repair cost over the totaled ceiling. Really the bike does not look that bad. The drivetrain and front end is intact as well as all the body panels excent the rear fender and gas tank. The floorboard mounts would have to be replaced or straightened on the left side and the crash bar. I already put stock wheels back on it and actually drove it around the block to see if anything felt funny. The bike seems fine and I would have no problem welding up the frame but not sure if that is acceptable in the state of Alabama to get the bike certified rebuilt.

One thought I have is buying a frame that maybe is raked out that would accept all the bagger drivetrain and make me a Road King with a "26 wheel sometime down the road. Anyone know of a frame like that? Anyone have any experience in rebuilding wrecks and what is involved in getting them retitled? I have to let the insurance company know this afternoon.

The other thought is to use the money to fix up the Ultra I bought this past weekend even better and forget about the wrecked bike. LOL

Decision decisions!!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The bike will alway's carry a salvaged title, and you can do what you want with it, nothing stopping you from putting back on the road. It's just for the next guy if you try to sell and don't disclaim it's been wrecked. I'd keep it.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 AM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FBI sells frames like that.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah i'd keep it. if mine ended up totaled (it was close) then i would have bought it back

Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I wouldn't. You know your bike better than I but I'd think hard before paying $5k for a bike with 70k miles on it. Add to that the fact that this one is wrecked.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:44 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd buy it, but I like to fix and build stuff and I'd probably throw down another $900-2,000 for a rigid or softail frame and use parts from that bike to build something cool.

If you're riding Ultras, however, you might nopt be interested in the same kind of projects I would be.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:13 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what year is it and what yr did you buy

Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would (and did) buy the bike depending on what the insurance company is giving you for the bike. I got $7,300 back on my 1999 Sportster 883 (1200 conversion) with 24K on the clock and bought it back. Still walked away with $5,500. My frame and front end still look good but even if they didn't, for $5,500 I could have really tricked out that bike...but I put that money into the Dyna instead...

olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would probably buy it back but that's just me! I would have to know the value of an 04 with 70K miles and a rebuild title. Figure out the cost to repair it and go from there.

Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its an 04 Ultra and I just bought an 09 Ultra. I have transferred everything over that I think I can.

Quick Reply: should I buy my totaled bike back from insurance?