General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you that ride with no windshield ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a windshield on mt truck and thats it.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind shields on baggers as much, I had one on my FLHS and it was pretty good. Not much buffeting, good bug protection etc. I don't think you need a shield to do long days; I ride upwards of 400 miles a day most weekends and I'm as comfortable as my buddy on his E-glide Ultra Classic. Your riding posture and how you set up your bike has everything to do with that. Apehangers, drag bars, forward controls, all the stuff that makes you look cool on the way to bike night is a royal pain on the road. Personally, I've always thought that most windshields induce a bunch of noise, fluttering, booming, buffeting, all that crap is gone when you're out in the relatively still air on top of a naked or cafe faired bike.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
kabluie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried my dad's goldwing once and like his windshield. It doesn't seem to work well on the Sporty though. I wear a FF shoei helmet and ocasionally wear ear buds hooked up to my Ipod. Since the nearest freeway to me is about a hundred miles away, I rarely go much over 65 for very long. The max speed limit for a hundred mile radius around me is 55. That is life on the Oregon Coast.

Everytime a bug hits my face shield I'm glad I'm wearing a FF helmet.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kabluie
I tried my dad's goldwing once and like his windshield. It doesn't seem to work well on the Sporty though. I wear a FF shoei helmet and ocasionally wear ear buds hooked up to my Ipod. Since the nearest freeway to me is about a hundred miles away, I rarely go much over 65 for very long. The max speed limit for a hundred mile radius around me is 55. That is life on the Oregon Coast.

Everytime a bug hits my face shield I'm glad I'm wearing a FF helmet.
Hell, that's life in interior Oregon...every time I pass through the state in the desert high country.....no traffic, long roads that would be 75 mph in Montana, and the speed is....55 mph...enforced by OSP aircraft dispatching patrol cars. Beautiful state..friendly citizens....weird laws....and don't get me going on yer whole 'can't fuel yer own vehicle thing'!

Windshields are largely unnecessary in Oregon.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

Long rides or windy days I wear ear plugs , It keeps me from saying what and huh the next several hours. I can hear while rideing with the plugs in and enjoy my radio pipes or the voices in my head with no problems... usually.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
jwlehman
Road Master

I really am tired of the know-it-alls on the forum. If it wasnt for the occasional great pointers on here....

Glad to know we have guys on here that tell us all what a real biker is...what would we do without them?

Originally Posted by motolocopat
Firt off, by your own admission you are not a motorcyclist and damn sure not a "Biker". You bought a motorcycle because friendshavethem and/or momdadwouldn'tletyou and/or divorce and/or thinkit'scool.
If you are going to survive this adventure then best get a proper helmet, since you are a noob and are getting ready to fall down....hopefully not to hard. Dress for the crash... good helmet will take care of most of the noise and might save your rookie butt.

I like my small windshield as I don't have to look through it and it blocks enough off of me that I don't have to grip the bars to hard and can easily cruise at 80mph all day.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

my windsheld was the first thing that i removed
from my bike I wear a 5 snap 3/4 helmet with a
5 snap face sheld

Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Some people like to ride with windshields and some don't. It doesn't mean you are somehow a better "biker" than anyone else if you do or don't use a windshield.

Having said that, I rarely have a windshield on unless the ride is over 400 miles or so and yes I'm better than any bastard on here.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer a small wind screen that takes some of the wind pressure off my chest.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

3/4 helmet w/flip shield.

Quick Reply: For those of you that ride with no windshield ...