General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you that ride with no windshield ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
BlndRyder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents..... No helmet law here so I usually run around with no lid, plugs, or shield when in the stop-n-go urban cruzin traffic. Same thing if my hiway time is 20 minutes or less with the exception of maybe plugs to slow down the ringing when I stop. If I know I'm going to be on the hiway for a bit or take a trip, I do wear a lid (at least a 1/2 DOT), put in the plugs (cause I like to hear more than my own voice when I get where I'm going), and put on a wind deflector I've mounted up with quick detach for my fatboy.

At least in my mind, I get some protection from high speed bugs and phone junkies in cages when I'm on the road, but I still get to look cool cruzin the 'ville (least as cool as a 48 year old fat man can look).

As long as your comfortable, feel safe, and have that huge **** eating grin while your riding, IT'S ALL GOOD!

Be safe all my riding brothers and friends.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

In some ways it works better than a lot of windshield setups that only server to create lots of turbulence. It works real well with a FF helmet and a jacket that has adjustable vents in the sleeves and ducted venting in the chest because with the wind flow you can adjust the venting on your helmet and jacket for the optimum comfort regardless of temp.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't like windshields. Quite happy to travel at 70mph all day without one. Don't wear a full face helmet either. It's just one of those things I guess

Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF is a windshield? And who would need that?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the straps on the halfs seem to cause a little more whistling and air noise. I have a full face-obviously does much better with the noise but visibility is crap. I've ridden my half on the interstate and am just used to it.

Riding with an Ipod would be a little crazy. All the crazy cagers running around I like to both hear and see what's going on around me.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I rode for years with no windshield. It sucks. I don't care what it looks like or what is "cooler" I bought the RG because it has the best wind protection. Some people hate it, some people like it, I don't give a rats azz because they didn't pay for it, I did. So for me, I don't need earplugs, I wear a half helmet and listen to my in dash stereo blasting rock and roll music when I ride.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrior Redleg
I was Artillery. What hearing? The good hearing was gone after the first few years.

But, if I am out on the road longer than 30 to 45 minutes and will be going steadily over 50mph, i throw in some earplugs.
My wife rides with a shield and always has her Ipod and earphones (ifrogs or something like that)

Well last week did a 600 mile jaunt to Little Rock and back and thought i would try it out. It did work, however i probably had the music turned up loud enough that it was hurting my hearing more than the wind.....

But just my preference. As long as i have my Dyna, It will be shieldless.
I road the bike to work yesterday, which I never do because I live within a couple of miles of the place and it ain't worth the trouble to pull it out of the garage. Anyway, I was in a hurry, so I grabbed my 1/2 helmet, but I forgot to grab my ear plugs. What a mistake! Above 45 mph it was deafening. I don't know some of you can tolerate it. I wear my ear plugs regardless of which helmet I wear.

Having a detacheable windshield gives me options. As I stated in an earlier post here, I've removed it 'cause it's so damn hot here in the ATL. If I'm taking a trip to see my buds down in Florida, for example, the windshield is attached. I'm less worn out after a long ride when I use it.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EP50
No windshield on my bike.

When I want a windshield...I drive a car
+1 My bike is loud with CFR racing pipes- even at 80 or 90 on the freeway I can hear it. Full helmet maybe makes a difference. On the metric all I hear is the wind.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That wind noise will damage your hearing over time. Either wear earplugs or get a 3/4 helmet.

You do get used to the wind/pressure though, so just ride and you'll soon find you dont even notice it, even at 80 mph. I remember when I first took off the windshield on my first bike I couldnt believe the overwhelming wind beyond about 50 mph. I stuck to it though and after a few days the next thing I knew I wasn't even aware of the wind anymore.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I rode for years with no windshield. It sucks. I don't care what it looks like or what is "cooler" I bought the RG because it has the best wind protection. Some people hate it, some people like it, I don't give a rats azz because they didn't pay for it, I did. So for me, I don't need earplugs, I wear a half helmet and listen to my in dash stereo blasting rock and roll music when I ride.
Just Monday i went on a small ride with my buddy, he rode his new Road Glide. He explained to me people call it an ugly duckling, say its ugly, etc.

He went on to say how he has been riding harleys for 40+yrs, has had 20 or 30 brand new bikes, and he has never had a better handling bike than the Road Glide.

Big words coming from him ... he also has an Ultra Limited, and a Heritage in his garage. Says even the Ultra doesnt compare to the Glide

Quick Reply: For those of you that ride with no windshield ...