General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another small reason dealers suck

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just another small reason dealers suck

I'm restoring an '89 Sportster to running condition. Unfortunately every time I need something the part is obsolete, and needs to be ordered usually as an aftermarket part. I can find most of what I need from Custom Chrome but you need to either order from a CC dealer or from them online and pay retail plus shipping. I broke a shifter arm yesterday. A couple of calls to local dealers reveals that they don't have the OEM in stock, which goes for about $104. I have been waiting for one of these dealers to get me another CC part I ordered two weeks ago. By ordered I mean I went in, told them what part to order and payed retail for it up front. I was told that the part wouldn't be in for a while because they need to build a certain size order. Turns out CC ships orders over $199 for free. This morning I asked them to add the shifter arm to the CC order. Retail, per CC, is $17. They quoted me a price of $24, and I still have to wait for them to build an order. It's not a lot of money, but I just feel chisled to have to pay over retail and then wait who knows how long to get the part. I think I'll stop in there tomorrow, cancel the order on both parts, and just reorder from CC directly and pay the shipping. At least I'll have the parts. As these dealers continue to fail, will someone ever consider the value of customer service? Sorry for the long post but thanks for letting me vent.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
I'm restoring an '89 Sportster to running condition. Unfortunately every time I need something the part is obsolete, and needs to be ordered usually as an aftermarket part. I can find most of what I need from Custom Chrome but you need to either order from a CC dealer or from them online and pay retail plus shipping. I broke a shifter arm yesterday. A couple of calls to local dealers reveals that they don't have the OEM in stock, which goes for about $104. I have been waiting for one of these dealers to get me another CC part I ordered two weeks ago. By ordered I mean I went in, told them what part to order and payed retail for it up front. I was told that the part wouldn't be in for a while because they need to build a certain size order. Turns out CC ships orders over $199 for free. This morning I asked them to add the shifter arm to the CC order. Retail, per CC, is $17. They quoted me a price of $24, and I still have to wait for them to build an order. It's not a lot of money, but I just feel chisled to have to pay over retail and then wait who knows how long to get the part. I think I'll stop in there tomorrow, cancel the order on both parts, and just reorder from CC directly and pay the shipping. At least I'll have the parts. As these dealers continue to fail, will someone ever consider the value of customer service? Sorry for the long post but thanks for letting me vent.
The minimum order policy is not the dealers fault and when you come in with you add-on's it just takes their time which they charge you for. I own my own business and charge for my time. I'm not a big fan of going to a Harley dealer for anything so I would just order from CC directly. Everybody here feels your pain and has probably gone through something similar. But don't burn your bridges because you'll probably need the dealer for something down the road.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not order the parts online, I order everything online. I know when I'm going to get it and I can get free shipping if I have a large enough order. If I want it sooner I upgrade the shipping.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude your working on a 22 soon to be 23 year old machine. There are very few places that are going to stock parts for something that old, be it a motorcycle, auto, washing machine or what ever. If you can order parts on line and not hassle with a third party why would you? That being said, If they are willing to order them for you they should get them in a timely manner.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JP Cycles is where I get all my parts for my 88 Sportster. Shipping is fast and they usually have a coupon to get a discount on the parts.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's good business. You are one of the few people looking for parts for that bike. It makes no sense to manufacture, much less inventory and stock parts for such a minuscule market.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer

My point is that CC won't discount to the public and now offers direct sales at retail price. The cheapest shipping option for a $17 part is $11 and change. I went to a specific dealership that happens to also be a CC dealer. They are delaying the order so that they can get free shipping. They are also charging me 140% of the retail price and assume absolutley no risk or upfront cost-I have to pay for the part in full before they will order it. Just seems kind of unreasonable to make me wait for them to get free shipping and then pay over retail. As far as burning a bridge at the dealership, what are they really doing for anyone, other than running a retail sales operation that continues to gouge whenever they can. When someone feels cheated out of a few bucks, will they be back to buy a $20K bike? The cost to ship a lot of small parts makes places like J&P and CC prohibitive in the first place. I really don't mind paying, I just don't want to overpay AND wait another two weeks.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by OldMike
The minimum order policy is not the dealers fault and when you come in with you add-on's it just takes their time which they charge you for. I own my own business and charge for my time. I'm not a big fan of going to a Harley dealer for anything so I would just order from CC directly. Everybody here feels your pain and has probably gone through something similar. But don't burn your bridges because you'll probably need the dealer for something down the road.
I don't know what type of business you have, but Harley dealerships don't sell "time". The sell motorcycles, clothes, and motorcycle parts and accessories. Their overhead, which I assume includes their time, is included in the transaction in which they pay wholesale and sell at retail.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when you order aftermarket stuff from a dealer, you gotta expect them to make a profit on it.... after all, they're in business to make money, not to perpetrate the misconception that we, as Harley owners, are all just one big happy family.

it's already been pointed out - just order your parts from the manufacturer or aftermarket dealer - be a big boy and pay the couple of dollars more for shipping.... or hold on your order until you get above the minumum order point.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:35 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
I'm restoring an '89 Sportster to running condition. Unfortunately every time I need something the part is obsolete, and needs to be ordered usually as an aftermarket part. I can find most of what I need from Custom Chrome but you need to either order from a CC dealer or from them online and pay retail plus shipping. I broke a shifter arm yesterday.
It may be an '89 Sportster, but this an't 1989 - we have Ebay now. Every part you need, original or after-market, new, used, etc.

For my '97 Sportster, I put on HD handlebars and risers from a Night Train for $40. A Mustang vintage solo seat for around $150, maybe less. Factory exhaust ran me around $60-70. Sportster Custom smuggler riser with speedo was maybe $100-150. Parts for my Softail have been even less (averaging about 10% of the original HD price for HD parts).

Plus, people on Ebay are a lot quicker to ship than online dealers.

Quick Reply: Just another small reason dealers suck