General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011 | 07:37 AM
don g
|
Tourer
Default Hit a deer yesterday

It's one of those things you here about but hope it never happens to you. Well yesterday morning I was traveling along M28 in the upper penninsula and a deer walked right into my path. It was lightly raining and I was traveling 60 mph. I could see the deer starting to walk out from the woods line, I started to slow down and when I saw it keep coming I started braking. I've always wondered how I would handle braking in an emergency situation and I found out. I couldn't brake too hard or I would have locked up the tires and dropped the bike, so I gave it as much brake as I felt comfortable with and the deer just kept walking. I was probably down to about 45 mph when I could see the deer was not going to give me any last minute sign what it was going to do and our paths crossed. With the road conditions I felt very limited with stopping and swerving to avoid hitting it. The deer was a medium size dow and I hit it in the front shoulders. The bike was knocked over and the bike and I started sliding. Everything seemed like it was in slow motion. The only thing I could think of was to push the bike away from me. I finally came to a stop and the bike stood back up, from going into a slight ditch, and finally fell again. What a rush. I got up and felt fine, no immediate injuries. Walked over to the bike and it didn't look too bad. Somehow the ignition was turned off. The front left fog light was a little bent, front left fork air deflector was slightly bent, left highway peg moved a bit and not to much else. I picked the bike up, which is usually a challenge but this time it seemed really light, go figure, sat on and let my breathing calm down a bit. Started the bike up and ran it out of the ditch. Took a good look at everything and felt like I could continue my ride. I was 30 miles into my 450 mile ride when this happened. Well I made it to my destination safe. This morning my neck is a little sore but everything else seems okay after a good night sleep. The deer was laying in the middle of road not able to move but it kept raising it's head, I think it was waiting for a semi to help it off the road. I feel very lucky to have been able to walk and ride away from an incident like this and will be more cautious in the future. Riding just seems to never ending learning experience. Thanks for listening, I'm still in a daze. Ride safe.

Last edited by don g; 06-12-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Missed words
Old 06-12-2011 | 07:59 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master

"I feel very lucky to have been able to walk and ride away from an incident like this and will be more cautious in the future."

I am so glad that this story had a happy ending, I want the same kind of Gremlin Bell that you have!

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:00 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

Don..You WERE VERY LUCKY..Everyday is a learning experience as you said..

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:04 AM
jayray
Tourer

Better to hit the effing thing, than to avoid it and hit the ditch while it flicks its tail and walks off....
Glad you are ok!!

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:09 AM
TexasJR
Tourer

Oh Deer.....

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:09 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Definitely came out out of this one far better than most do on this one ..

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:18 AM
Just Don
Cruiser

OK TexasJR, I've got to ask how that one took place. Looks like a city street.

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:23 AM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by TexasJR
Oh Deer.....

TexasJR, any injuries from this deer collisiion? Unbelievable! I am going for a ride shortly on some back road twisties, gonna keep an extra sharp eye out for sure. Glad your OK, donG.

Last edited by streeteagle; 06-12-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2011 | 08:27 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior

heading up your way the last week of the month to ride the newly paved section of H58 between Grand Marais and Munising, hope I don't meet any of his friends. Glad you're ok.

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:35 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Damm, glad you're ok. Thats my biggest fear, Deer.. Maybe the rain was a curse and pleasing at the same time. It reduced your manuvering ability but maybe let you slide easier and survive with minimal injurys..

again, glad you're ok and have safe remainder of your trip.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer yesterday