General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011 | 05:48 AM
jbg56
Cruiser

Poor deer?!?!? I can't go for a ride around here without seeing at least a half dozen alongside the road. I think they are nothing but long legged vermin. I worry more about deer when I ride than teenage girls texting and driving.

Old 06-14-2011 | 06:16 AM
don g
|
Tourer

After a couple days I think I have everything straightened back out. It seems that the crash bars are what really saved me. The front left side crash bar was bent and it looks like it took the brunt of the contact of the deer. Without the crash bars on this bike I would be in a hospital right now. I never realized how much protection they give you. It's hard to believe by looking at the bike that it hit a deer and slid down the road and ended up in a reveen. I still can't believe it happened. Thanks for all the support.

Old 06-19-2011 | 12:12 AM
driveone2
Intermediate

Don, glad your OK. I posted this comment on another forum and thought I would post here as well.

I did a search on here today to search for deer strikes HOPING I wouldn't find any but today I had my wife on the back of my FLHTCU going for a cruise on a county road and out of nowhere like a rocket comes this huge DOE on my left side. I hit the breaks hard and hit that deer broadside right in the gut....BUT....I didn't drop the bike. Deer tumbled over backwards and slide off the road into the brush. By the time I got stopped and calmed my wife down, I walked back where I hit it and there she was in the ditch gasping for breath. I gotta tell ya, THAT SCARED THE H#&^ outa me. Destroyed the fender, busted my fairing, bent my road lamp bar BUT, I didn't go down THANK GOD. Don't know if moma will ride with me again. The bike was still ridable. Called the cops and got my report and rode it to the dealer in town and there she'll stay till the adjuster does his deal to get it fixed.
To all you guys who were not as LUCKY as I was, I feel for you guys and wish you wrere as LUCKY as I was. Now I have second thoughts about riding again and may end up selling it. Nerves can't take another hit like that. 2 weeks ago I was caught in staright line wind about 80 mile an hour and was blown over in my big truck and now this. I think I need anothe BUD LIGHT.

Old 06-19-2011 | 05:11 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow, Glad your OK. My Dad was stationed at K.I. Sawyer when it was a SAC base in the 70's. I remember the deer were all over. Take Care! Jrsess