General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011 | 12:05 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad you came out of it ok. Sounds like you did all the right things. The only thing I might have added would be to try to make some noise. Sometimes revving the engine really loudly will scare a critter back into the woods.

Old 06-12-2011 | 12:22 PM
don g
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
heading up your way the last week of the month to ride the newly paved section of H58 between Grand Marais and Munising, hope I don't meet any of his friends. Glad you're ok.
You'll love the last 20 miles before you reach Grand Marais. A motorcycle enthusiast must have had something to do with road design, it's really sweet.

Old 06-12-2011 | 12:33 PM
don g
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
Damm, glad you're ok. Thats my biggest fear, Deer.. Maybe the rain was a curse and pleasing at the same time. It reduced your manuvering ability but maybe let you slide easier and survive with minimal injurys..

again, glad you're ok and have safe remainder of your trip.
I think your right. Once I was on the ground I think the rain definitely helped in reducing the abrasion. I know now why they put armor in the shoulders and elbows of the FXRG jackets. It's just a little scuffed up but still usable. My wife probably won't like the scuffed up back constantly reminding her of it. The rain pants aren't in too bad of shape either. I'll just have to repair a couple holes and the'll be fine. I suppose having chaps on under the rain pants helped also. I have mixed feelings about keeping the clothes.

Old 06-12-2011 | 12:46 PM
don g
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
Damm, glad you're ok. Thats my biggest fear, Deer.. Maybe the rain was a curse and pleasing at the same time. It reduced your manuvering ability but maybe let you slide easier and survive with minimal injurys..

again, glad you're ok and have safe remainder of your trip.
Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Consider yourself blessed. You definitely came out better than most. What type of protective gear were you wearing?
I was wearing a FXRG jacket with armor, chaps, rain pants, gloves, boots and a helmet. Minor damage to the jacket and rain pants and a little scuff on the helmet. I will always wear as much protection as possible after this. Without the gear on it would be a different story. The crash bars on the bike played a huge roll in protecting my legs until I separated from the bike while sliding.

Old 06-12-2011 | 04:48 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TexasJR
Oh Deer.....

Seriously! I could have done without the visual. Poor deer and bike! At least you are here to tell the story.

Old 06-13-2011 | 06:34 PM
Just Don
Cruiser

Originally Posted by don g
I was wearing a FXRG jacket with armor, chaps, rain pants, gloves, boots and a helmet. Minor damage to the jacket and rain pants and a little scuff on the helmet. I will always wear as much protection as possible after this. Without the gear on it would be a different story. The crash bars on the bike played a huge roll in protecting my legs until I separated from the bike while sliding.

I don't want to change the course of this thread, but I have to say I feel extremely well protected wearing my Kevlar Air Mesh jacket and pants. I live in South Florida and I can wear it year round which was a major selling point for me. It just seemed fitting to mention it here. http://www.motoport.com/

Attached Thumbnails Hit a deer yesterday-bikeforum3.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011 | 07:39 PM
Firenailer
Road Master

Wow, glad you came out of that OK! Up here in Northern Westchester those damn things are always walking around the road edges and always give me the pucker. Say your thank you prayer tonight, and ride safe tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2011 | 08:50 PM
MrMojo
Road Captain

Congrats, you didn't panic and were able to walk (ride) away!

Old 06-14-2011 | 04:45 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

Glad your ok Man that is a expensive way to hold down a deer. LOL. The deer population is out of control. I wish they'd kill them all. I tell the hunters at work If you want my tags pay the bill they can have them all. I dont hunt Just ride and dodge deer. take care and get your bike fixed. BTW I'm getting a FXRG as soon asap.

Old 06-14-2011 | 05:35 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Congrats on good outcome and good riding skills along with good sense to wear proper equipment.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer yesterday