General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 AM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one more thing i have never been convinced that you need to balance a motor cycle tire, the fricken tires dont last long enough any way to justify paying for a balance and i myself could never feel a difference in a balanced tire and a non balanced tire that was properly set on the wheel and if you disagree with me go ahead and spend some more money!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

If you don't change your tires on a frequent basis I would recommend the Motorcycle Superstore Preferred Installer plan. Their tire prices are as low as you will find give or take a buck and they have the Preferred Installer network of local installers that wiill mount your tires for you. If you are a do it yourselfer you will probably want to invest in some equipment. The equation is very similar to money and performance. The degree of difficulty decreases in proportion to the amount of money you spend on equipment. I have done everything from the the truck/2x4 bead breaker and spoons route to a No Mar unit and everything in between. I prefer the ease of the No Mar although all the processes work. It just depends on how much physical effort you want to put into the job. I currently can purchase, mount and balance both the front and rear tires on my Heritage for just under $200. One other thing that I have learned is that as long as I can mount and balance tires I will never be wanting for "friends."

Last edited by AZRenegade; 07-03-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mackcr
I was just quoted a price from a dealer for new tires. The price is more than I can afford at this time. I do most of my own service work but have never replaced tires on a motorcycle. How hard is it to change and balance tires on spoke wheels. What tools will I need?
You have a lot of good advice but not all your questions were answered.

How hard is it?
It will make you break a good sweat but isn't that difficult.

How hard is balancing?
1) There is a mark on every motorcycle tire, that if you line it up with the valve stem it will be pre-balanced. I've never had an out-of-balance tire using this method.

2) Dyna beads are your second option. They aren't that expensive and have received great reviews. They require a filtered valve core.

What tools will you need.
a) something to break the bead. 2 Large C-clamps will work or you can build a bead breaker from different plans on the net. None are very expensive.
b) a rubber hammer. I like a smaller one.
c) you will need 2 tire spoons or tire tools. Rubber coated are best. Longer tools give you more leverage, but are difficult to travel with.
d) A sponge and a bottle of dishwashing soap for lubricant and to help the bead seal when airing back up.
e) access to an air compressor
f) Three 6" pieces of water hose cut lengthwise. I use these to protect my alloy wheels from tire tool marks.
g) A torque wrench to tighten everything up when you are done.
h) a valve core tool

A helpful hint: Work from the side opposite of your brake disc if you are running a single disc.

Motorcyclesuperstore has the cheapest tire prices I have found.

I think that answers the questions you posed. If you have any other questions, please post them.

Oh, 1 more thing. You will need a tube a loctite anti-sieze lube for the motorcycle axle.

Last edited by Jonesee; 06-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:51 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 945 Posts

If you want to change tires, a $39.95 HF changer and bead breaker makes it easy. Wedge anchor it to the floor (or an outside concrete pad). Soapy water for lube and some pieces of wood cut 1/2 x 1 x 6" as bead locks. A few tire irons (if you can find some old tractor irons that's good for the tough ones. On tubeless tires I use air soft pellets (same principle as Dyna Beads. On tube type I'm now using the genuine article (more expensive).

Did a front radial and and a set of brake pads on my wife's V-Rod yesterday morning. Between the tire, mounting and pad replacement p&l saved at least $100. Better in my pocket than the dealer's, and I know the job was done correctly.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Daddyknuck is right about getting the job done right. Does the dealer or indy you go to take your axle and wash it? Does he take the time to wash out the inside of the hubs? Or is he just smearing more anti-sieze on it?

Is he checking the lock washers to see if they have splayed out of shape? (and they will)
Or just tightening everything back?

Last edited by Jonesee; 06-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Originally Posted by never say never
I just changed three tires two on my electra glide and one 160/70/17 on my 06street bob,I have been changing my own tires for 35 years or more with a home made bead breaker and nothing but tire spoons and i am here to tell you that it is a total bitch of a job and if you think you can just go ahead and do it you are very foolish i found out on this last wrest -ling match that i have become to old to continue these tire changes anymore so i have decided to save 25 dollars a month so that i can pay to have some one else do it or maybe i will still pull the wheels but have the tires spun on and off by someone with a machine,sure i saved money by purchasing my tires on line for a huge discount but when you dont have the equipment to break a bead,inflate the new tire fast enough to seal a bead your simple tire change can become an all day battle, if you choose to continue to do it yourself have plenty of patience so that when something goes wrong you can come up with practical solutions, you should have a air compressor of at least 175 psi for bead sealing or at least know the old school tricks to seal a bead and these tricks can cause bodily injury if you do not know what you are doing. The last word being i am to old to do it anymore but cheap enough to do it again any way.
I think that's just 2 sentences, but I stopped reading it half way through...

Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally, I like to save money when I can but for some reason changing my own tires doesn't interest me. Something about going 180km / hr I don't want to find out that I screwed up and have a blow out.

Besides, I found a local shop that will change the tires for free with the purchase of a new set. Which are priced reasonably. That's what I did this time, I just bought a new set btw.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:18 PM
mackcr
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input. After doing a little research I found I can save $350 from what I was quoted by buying the tires on line. I will check some local shops and see what they will charge to mount the tires for me if I bring the wheels in. If I can't find any of the "deals" that ya'll have I will spend $150 on some tools and give it a try myself.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM
never say never
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stiggy
im surprised that you know how to read at all,were talking tire changes looser change one or just shut up already!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM
grumman581
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Yeah... As I was reading it, the thought "someone needs to reduce their caffeine intake" came to mind...

Quick Reply: DIY Tires