General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys new leadership

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011 | 05:33 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
Time for you to get a Gold Wing.
He already has a Gold Wing. It ahs been years since HD looked at the land in Kentucky (Shelby Co.) and didn't take it.

The problem with his whole story, is that it only makes sense if Harley owned the dealerships. To close independantly owned franchises doesn't seem to do anything except cut income and reduce outlets for the financing end.

As for the Troll OP selling his Harley stock, I think somebody has pointed out that harley has been making a profit through the recession, while others have been losing. Honda would go out of business before HD.

Old 06-11-2011 | 05:44 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by urleycay
Has everyone heard about harleys new leadership and what he's doing? 1) closing 40% of dealerships just like GM did. Just got back from a ride to chicago and my dealer in chicago i grew up with was closed along with one more plus two more may be on chopping block. another area (cannnot say) is currently on edge because they make be cut (they have not found out yet) York plant was forced to cut 700 Union jobs and Union was told to accept it or we will move company to kentucky. PARTS- all going up right now a HD battery is $170.00 last time I paid $96.00 and i thought that was high. another thing ,if you use after market parts on your HD to enhance perf HD will VOID warranty. The power programer was used as demonstration. I am glad I sold my Harley stock. Thats all for now, check with your dealer to make sure they ain,t on chopping block. right now I have to travel 100 or 200 miles to nearest dealer and if they close these then I guess I'll be sht out of luck and have to go aftermarket with everything or buy a differant brand
HD is not forcing any dealers to close like GM did. Dealerships are closing because they are not profitable. Period.

You do realize the economy is not is good shape, unemployment is up, etc? Recreation items are usually the first to go. Less bikes mean less production. Lest production means fewer employees. Or do you expect any company to keep payin hundreds of employees that have no work to do?

One last thing, you should know that when the dollar is weak, commotities rise ike corn, wheat, gold, silver, opper, and yes even lead. Infaltion is on the rise. Have you priced food lately or gas? Go but a box of ammo - you will see that has doubled also.

Maybe you needed to pay attention in HS economics class. if you did you would know that during hard economic times, companies have to cut costs to survive.

Old 06-11-2011 | 05:51 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by brenn
He already has a Gold Wing. It ahs been years since HD looked at the land in Kentucky (Shelby Co.) and didn't take it.

The problem with his whole story, is that it only makes sense if Harley owned the dealerships. To close independantly owned franchises doesn't seem to do anything except cut income and reduce outlets for the financing end.

As for the Troll OP selling his Harley stock, I think somebody has pointed out that harley has been making a profit through the recession, while others have been losing. Honda would go out of business before HD.
Does not seem possible that a company with 18 times the market cap of HD would go out of business. 200,000,000 motocycles produced says they probably wont.

Old 06-11-2011 | 06:46 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

This thread is nothing but a load of crap.

Old 06-11-2011 | 08:29 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadking2000
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

This thread is nothing but a load of crap.
yeah that. I don't think there was one true statement in the original post. Besides that a dealer was closing up shop.

Old 06-11-2011 | 08:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

HD cannot close a franchised dealer without buying them out. They do not have the resources for that. GM was in bankruptcy and the Judge can cancel dealers franchises which is what happened. Many are appealing and some getting reinstated.

The dealers that closed are the ones that were losing money and some consolidated with their sister dealerships.

You are spreading BS and know nothing about what your are saying.

Old 06-11-2011 | 08:48 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by urleycay
Has everyone heard about harleys new leadership and what he's doing? 1) closing 40% of dealerships just like GM did. Just got back from a ride to chicago and my dealer in chicago i grew up with was closed along with one more plus two more may be on chopping block. another area (cannnot say) is currently on edge because they make be cut (they have not found out yet) York plant was forced to cut 700 Union jobs and Union was told to accept it or we will move company to kentucky. PARTS- all going up right now a HD battery is $170.00 last time I paid $96.00 and i thought that was high. another thing ,if you use after market parts on your HD to enhance perf HD will VOID warranty. The power programer was used as demonstration. I am glad I sold my Harley stock. Thats all for now, check with your dealer to make sure they ain,t on chopping block. right now I have to travel 100 or 200 miles to nearest dealer and if they close these then I guess I'll be sht out of luck and have to go aftermarket with everything or buy a differant brand
Troll Post, Uhh think gas is over $4.00/gal.

Old 06-11-2011 | 09:06 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brenn
Honda would go out of business before HD.
Not even close to being true. Honda motorcycles is the largest motorcycle producer on the planet and just one part of Honda Motor Co.

Wiki:
Honda has been the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer since 1959,[3][4] as well as the world's largest manufacturer of internal combustion engines measured by volume, producing more than 14 million internal combustion engines each year.[5] Honda surpassed Nissan in 2001 to become the second-largest Japanese automobile manufacturer.[6][7] As of August 2008, Honda surpassed Chrysler as the fourth largest automobile manufacturer in the United States.[8] Honda is the sixth largest automobile manufacturer in the world.

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:12 AM
rkgreen
Intermediate

Moving Harley Davidson is old news, however Harley is up to some tricks, there cutting production back and closing some dealers making it harder to get a bike ....there M O is to drive the prices back up like it used to be when you pay list. I know some of you guys remember back when AMC owend Harley and building crap and Davidson bought them back and drove up the price to list or above and you had to pre order and wait months to get a bike. The dealer here ownes three stores and they already have about half the bike's on floor plan and prices up.... even on used bikes.
They told me there having a hard time getting bike's now....BS...go by Daytona or Orlando and they have bike's coming out of the ***.

Old 06-12-2011 | 08:17 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Does not seem possible that a company with 18 times the market cap of HD would go out of business. 200,000,000 motocycles produced says they probably wont.
Originally Posted by Jonesee
Not even close to being true. Honda motorcycles is the largest motorcycle producer on the planet and just one part of Honda Motor Co.

That is kind of the point. If I said a company that is likely to go out of business "will go out of business before Harley" that wouldn't really mean anything except "maybe Harley will go out of business." So by saying that the number 2 motorcycle selling company in the country will go out of business first, most people understand that to mean, "Harley is not likely to go out of business."

If you want, I can find jokes people have posted in the humor forum and explain the punch lines, or anything else you don't get.

Last edited by brenn; 06-12-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Harleys new leadership