General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer put too much oil in my bike. Need advice PLS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011 | 08:40 PM
CLXB
|
Advanced
Default Dealer put too much oil in my bike. Need advice PLS!

Hello,
I've made the mistake of trusting a dealer to do my maintenace (I learned) so I noticed a leak on the oil plug and looking for a cause checked the oil and found that it is overfilled. it is at least an 1.5" higher on the dipstick than it should be.

I also found that they overfilled my front tire by 10 PSI. WTF? is not like they are giving away the service is expensive as....

Well tomorrow I'm going there for them to fix the leak and I don't know what to expect/demand????.

In reality I don't know what damages my motor might have from this. I've seen (non-harley) motorcycles blow piston rings from too much oil.
BTW this was from the 5k service.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2011 | 09:00 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Drain a little oil so that you are at the correct level and never use that dealer again?

Old 06-10-2011 | 09:03 PM
AZRenegade
Tourer

What I would do in your situation is this:

1. Find a turkey baster or similar syringe like implement and remove the excess oil from tank.
2. Assuming you measured the tire pressure when the tire was cold, reduce the tire pressure by 10 psi.
3. Sleep in and forget about going back to the dealer. You probably don't have a leak. What you have is excess oil working it's way out of the fill tube. Removing the excess oil should solve that issue.
4. Start hanging with riders that have mechanical experience that you can learn from.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2011 | 09:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
Drain a little oil so that you are at the correct level and never use that dealer again?

And let some air out of your tires.

Old 06-10-2011 | 09:07 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

Originally Posted by AZRenegade

1. Find a turkey baster or similar syringe like implement and remove the excess oil from tank.
2. Assuming you measured the tire pressure when the tire was cold, reduce the tire pressure by 10 psi.
3. Sleep in and forget about going back to the dealer. You probably don't have a leak. What you have is excess oil working it's way out of the fill tube. Removing the excess oil should solve that issue.
4. Start hanging with riders that have mechanical experience that you can learn from.

Hope this helps.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 06-10-2011 | 10:12 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

1.5 inches over the full line would take about an extra quart. No damn excuse for that..

Old 06-10-2011 | 10:52 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Hope this helps.
This is what I would do. Next time, do it yourself. It's a helluva lot less expensive.

Old 06-10-2011 | 10:56 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Same thing on the oil for me last year on the 1000 mile service. I took a Turkey baster and sucked out 10 oz to get it down to the full mark. This year I did the 1000 mile service my self on my new RK and all went great, and I saved about $250.

Old 06-11-2011 | 05:29 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp

Same deal just happened to my friends bike. Not as full as yours but started pukin oil out of the back of the a/c plate. Pulled the drain plug and dropped it to proper level but not the oil sending unit it drippiong. To be replaced on monday. And their the experts???

Old 06-11-2011 | 07:07 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member

Hope this helps.
+1 on that. Do it yourself and it's always done to your satifaction.

Quick Reply: Dealer put too much oil in my bike. Need advice PLS!