General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Srewed I think.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$1,000 for a drain plug sounds kind of steep.
A dealer replaces parts; a mechanic can fix them.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 06-10-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
I asked about drilling larger plug..got run around.
How long should it take a trained person to undo everything, take the inner off and put it all back together?
It's not that big of a job, but if you are talking about the dealer doing it they just go by the book. It will allow so many hours for each individual job, and that is what they charge. Regardless of how long it took the actual tech to do the work.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Explain why you think the inner has to come out. And you are saying the primary drain plug is what is leaking, correct?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Explain why you think the inner has to come out. And you are saying the primary drain plug is what is leaking, correct?
The drain plug is on the inner primary so to change it, it would have to come off.

If you have it repaired, get a time sert and it will be permanent. Otherwise just swap the inner primary yourself. Not hard to do.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Yes.
When I took the plug out because I thought it was leaking, I put a new O ring on it and screwed it back in. When I tried to tighten it down to specks it would not tighten. So I took the primary cover off and saw that the drain plug hole was stripped. It was almost smooth. The HD dealership called and said new inner primary is needed. I asked about re-tapping and did not get exact answer but she said she was told it had to be replaced.

Not sure what time sert is..and I dont believe I have the right tools to take everything off in order to get the inner primary off.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

http://www.timesert.com/ See if a machine shop would be able to install a time sert without taking the primary off. If not, you should be able to borrow the few tools needed. Not much needed to take it off.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
http://www.timesert.com/ See if a machine shop would be able to install a time sert without taking the primary off. If not, you should be able to borrow the few tools needed. Not much needed to take it off.
I will admit, I dont think I feel that confident to take everything off to get to inner primary, plus I dont know anyone who has those tools.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to an indy with a lift & a drill. Tell him you need a Heli-Coil insert installed in the drain hole. Can't see it costing much more than a hundred bucks start to finish as it's only about an hour's worth of work...

Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

A helicoil fix is not a very big job. Nor is drilling and tapping for a larger plug.

That dealer sucks.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm...why not just run a pipe tap into the hole and get a magnetic pipe plug to put in it? Both can be purchased at your local hardware store and for less than 25 bucks (plus new oil) and about 10 minutes time you are back on the road leak free........just sayin

Quick Reply: Srewed I think.