General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your suggestions, please

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Tomcat74
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Your suggestions, please

First a little info. The wife and I have decided its time to get a bike. I have very little experience on a street bike, mostly dirt and ATV. I'm going to take a rider course at a local dealer. What I'd like is suggestions on type of bike to get. I'm 6' 225 lbs. She's 5"10" 150 lbs. I'll ride it to work by myself, but we want to go together as well. Cruising town and the occasional weekend trip of 200 or so miles in a day. Tell me your experience/ opinions based on comfort (both of us), handling, acceleration, ease of riding (remember, I'm new at this), etc. We're looking at used bikes and would like to stay under $12k. Would prefer to stay in the dyna or softail family. Also like the Street Glide, but they seem to be EVERYWHERE! Want to be a little different, as well. Thanks for the help. If you get a chance, come to west Michigan in the summer. Great rides are all around here! Stay safe!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain

I don't see how you could go wrong with a softail heritage..or deluxe..or properly dressed a fatboy...that said, a road king would fit the bill..I prefer the softails myself though..dynas are nice..but I'd think you'd be happier on the softails...always worth renting for the weekend!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lp johnny
I don't see how you could go wrong with a softail heritage..or deluxe..or properly dressed a fatboy...that said, a road king would fit the bill..I prefer the softails myself though..dynas are nice..but I'd think you'd be happier on the softails...always worth renting for the weekend!
As much as i like the Dyna, you two are about the same size as my wife and I (okay, your a little smaller than me) and my Dyna is just too small to ride 2 up for any distance. I bought it to ride when she is riding her Fatboy, but have tried 2 up and not comfotable for her even with the large back seat.

I would look at the Heritage or a Road King.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
48FLpan
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should go to a dealership and just try sitting on some different models to get an idea, butf you want to keep it under $12K you are probably going to have to get used if you want a HD. I have heard the prices have come down due to the economy, but probably not that much, but that's OK, you can find one with low miles that the owner has blown cash for chrome etc. and save yourself some dough.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Tomcat74
Novice
Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

StreetGlide or Road King......the Softails and Dynas will feel to small for you and yours. Test ride them. Base your decision on how you feel on the bike rather than what it looks like.....

Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

You are 6' and 2bucks plus. I would think anything smaller than a Heritage would be uncomfortable for the two of you. You should also consider how the passenger pillion will match up with your wife's er, um backside. Personally, I would opt for a Road King, Street Glide, or my favorite, Road Glide. Much more comfortable riding 2 up.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road king or a Heritage softtail. I have a Heritage softail and it is a kinder bike for two up than my Wideglide. If money is an issue. I would research the different model years and the common problems associated with those years. Some preventative and problem solving maintenance is associated with most models.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you think you see so many Streetglides and Electraglides? If the reason you won't consider a particular model is because you see so many of them than your criteria will lead to disappointment. You + wife + gear = at least 400 lbs. Look at what a model is designed to do, not what others say they do with theirs. You need to be looking for something in the touring family.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Tomcat74
Novice

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Why do you think you see so many Streetglides and Electraglides? If the reason you won't consider a particular model is because you see so many of them than your criteria will lead to disappointment. You + wife + gear = at least 400 lbs. Look at what a model is designed to do, not what others say they do with theirs. You need to be looking for something in the touring family.
I know these models are popular for a reason. I haven't thought about it in the way you put it. I'm sure you are right and will take that into consideration. I feel we'll spend more time cruising around town than going on the longer trips. Work responsibilities keep us close to home more often than not. I like the Street Glides and will add them to the short list. Thanks to all who have posted replies on here. We've still got some decisions to make. Looking forward to more input from all of you out there. Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Your suggestions, please