General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your suggestions, please

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a used Yamaha or Honda and learn to ride by yourself before you put your loved one on the back of it. You might not even like riding after you try it, it is not for everyone. That is where all these garage queens come from. Folks spend tons of money and get frightened on their third ride and it sits and sucks up payments until someone comes along and gets a Great Deal on a low mileage 4 year old bike. When you drop the cheap metric (and you will while learning) it is not going to hurt near as much.

If you are dead set on a Harley, a Heritage or a Road King are going to be your best options with Y'alls size. Forget about that lowrider. Good luck and keep us posted on your endeavor.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I did....Checked out a few dearships and sized up the different bikes. Found out what new prices were. Checked out Harley's web page and goofed around building some vertural bikes...and their retail prices. Then I got serious and shopped Craigslist and e-bay. There are some crazy deals if your willing to look. I found out that nobody gets a dime back on upgrades they done on stock bikes. Plus, in todays hurting economy, it's a BUYER'S MARKET. There also seems to be this common kind of guy, who'll buy a bike, and then mosty just polish and look at the thing. It amazed me how many sharp, new looking bikes are out there with unbelieveably low mileage. Be an educated consumer and for a whole lot less then $12,000 you'll be rolling proud.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 AM
RLJ676
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I would think your best bet for an all around bike - as good on road trips as it is around town, would be a Road King. You can dress it up for travel or strip it down for cruising.
Agreed. For 12 you can find an 07 w/ a 96 if you get lucky from a private seller. You can then turn it into what you want as money's available.

You won't find a non-salvage title Street Glide for under 12 really.

If you have decent dirt bike experience and take the MSF course you can handle a touring bike. I hadn't ridden since being a 16 year old on a little dirt bike, and went straight into my Street Glide no problems after the class. Just take it easy at first and I'd definitely get a lot of miles before adding a passenger.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Get a Heritage and never look back.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 AM
dothedoo
Tourer

Heritage sounds like the perfect bike for what you describe. There are lots of them out there, so you'll have little problem finding a clean used unit in your price range.

IMHO, the touring bikes are very uncomfortable to ride compared to the Softail models. I've got a Fatboy, but have spent alot of time on a Streetglide and Road King. They are just too cramped for me. My wife and I rode the Road King two up for a bit and she much preferred riding the Fatboy two up.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

I agree with what a few others have said. Even though you may have had some experience riding in the dirt, years ago, that is no comparison to the jungle you will be exposed to every time you ride on the street. If you are not 100% confident and capable, and you only get that with miles, you will be exposing your wife to those same perils and she will be at the mercy of your experience and ability. As tough as it may seem, you will be smart to get something a bit smaller and get some miles under your belt solo. Once you are confident, put her on the back of that bike for short rides and get comfortable with the added weight, the whole bike CG (center of gravity) will change with a passenger and you need to be able to balance that extra weight and CG shift. Once you know she enjoys the feeling of riding, then go get yourself a bike you two will be happy taking weekend trips together on. Any of the touring bikes will put both of you in a different world of riding and the enjoyment factor will be unreal, especially if you surround her with a King Tour Pak and stereo. Those bikes weigh in at around 900 lbs. though so you really need to have a good understanding of balance, braking, slow manuvering etc. Spend this summer learning to ride the street, then practice a bit two up, then wait until the riding season is over and you will be able to score a great deal on the bike you both will be happy with for a long time.
That's what I would do.
Good Luck

Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Tomcat74
Novice

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experience. Danzio and Just Dave, I'm leaning heavily toward your suggestion and am now looking at more inexpensive foreign bikes. I'll pick up a Honda or Yamaha and ride alot this summer by myself and occasionally with the wife until I feel comfortable enough to move on up to a Harley. Thanks again for all the help. Ride safe, everyone! Be sure to visit Michigan for some nice riding. Bike Time is here in muskegon next month. Google Muskegon Bike Time for info. Hope to see you all there!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:25 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain

Kawasaki Vulcan is also a nice affordable cruiser..