Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Bikers killed in Charlotte today

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Two Bikers killed in Charlotte today

One HD rider was traveling on a divided 4 lane road and according to an eyewitness was riding beside an 18 wheeler. The 18 wheeler moved into the biker lane and caused the Bike to "spin out" as the eyewitness said. The rider was killed. The truck did not stop and is being sought by police.

Second incident looked like a Beemer rider who had a woman in a minivan turn left in front of him. He hit the Van in the right rear. one tv station said life threatening injuries, the other 3 said he died. No charges have been filed.

In the case of the first one, you have to wonder if he was in the truckers blind spot and just wasn't seen. Second incident, she probably never saw him either. I wonder what charges if any will be filed.

It all goes back to the premise of riding like you are invisible. Watch yourself riding beside trucks and remember, if you can't see his face in his mirror, he can't see you. Watch out for intersections where cars are waiting to turn left.

Prayers for all the families involved.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
fernman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have this real problem with "hanging" in the left lane, blind spot or not. The radar gun picks up the largest object, so the car next to you is what he's gonna get a number on, might as well roll on the throttle and get in front. Besides, it's fun.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for sharing...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser

Yeah, this is only an hour or so away from where I live. It's a good reminder to always assume you're invisible.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the case of the first one, you have to wonder if he was in the truckers blind spot and just wasn't seen. Second incident, she probably never saw him either. I wonder what charges if any will be filed.
I think you are right. Maybe the trucker STILL doesn't know he caused an accident.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't say as I am surprised, the traffic in that area is extremely heavy. I wouldn't even consider riding there.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's the news story.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/14880583/m...-and-run-crash

And another version.
http://www.wcnc.com/news/Motorcyclis...123608919.html

Last edited by mcrider1; 06-10-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I think you are right. Maybe the trucker STILL doesn't know he caused an accident.
can't imagine how that would be possible ....

Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM
wookie214
Tourer

Sometimes you have no choice but to ride next to or near a 18 wheeler. I try not to do either, and will pass them as quickly as possible. I mainly fear getting taken out by a retread that comes apart. One of my riding Buds and his OL almost caught a strip
off a tire about 3 weeks ago when we were all on a weekend trip. Shouldn't be that much of a blind spot on the drivers left side. Maybe he was on the phone or texting....I've seen truckers do both..... Sorry to hear of any rider getting taken out.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a blind spot on trucks but even more the whole truck is a threat. He's big, his tires come apart often, people do stupid crap in front of him, and he might be an idiot anyway. Most truck drivers are pros but like every job there is always some dumb asses. I get pissed when I get trapped beside a truck because speedy rabbit in front of me slows down to admire the trucks bumper and I get trapped beside the trailer because of traffic behind me. Had that only happen twice. First time is a lesson--second time I was just being stupid. I just let off the throttle and backed out of that danger zone. I don't drive by 18 wheelers so why would I ride beside them.
Originally Posted by Red N Gold
One HD rider was traveling on a divided 4 lane road and according to an eyewitness was riding beside an 18 wheeler. The 18 wheeler moved into the biker lane and caused the Bike to "spin out" as the eyewitness said. The rider was killed. The truck did not stop and is being sought by police.

Second incident looked like a Beemer rider who had a woman in a minivan turn left in front of him. He hit the Van in the right rear. one tv station said life threatening injuries, the other 3 said he died. No charges have been filed.

It all goes back to the premise of riding like you are invisible. Watch yourself riding beside trucks and remember, if you can't see his face in his mirror, he can't see you. Watch out for intersections where cars are waiting to turn left.

Prayers for all the families involved.

Quick Reply: Two Bikers killed in Charlotte today