General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Bikers killed in Charlotte today

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
There is a blind spot on trucks but even more the whole truck is a threat. He's big, his tires come apart often, people do stupid crap in front of him, and he might be an idiot anyway. Most truck drivers are pros but like every job there is always some dumb asses. I get pissed when I get trapped beside a truck because speedy rabbit in front of me slows down to admire the trucks bumper and I get trapped beside the trailer because of traffic behind me. Had that only happen twice. First time is a lesson--second time I was just being stupid. I just let off the throttle and backed out of that danger zone. I don't drive by 18 wheelers so why would I ride beside them.
actually, with all 3 mirrors adjusted right, there is NO blind spot on driver side. there is a small one on passenger front, but even that is minimal.
I'm constantly scanning my mirrors and there is no way I'd miss a bike on the side unless the bike darted into wrong spot passing someone. Imagine the bike going into middle lane from the fast lane same time the truck was going into it while passing someone on the right.....
in any case, the trucker would know there was an accident .... even if he saw it in his mirror few seconds too late.
btw, I'm typing this doing 70 on I-40 in AZ

Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite sure why when someone sees a news article about a biker being killed they have such a strong desire to shove it under everyones nose. Riding motorcycles is dangerous always has been...always will be. Cant remember it being such a big drama back when, "Hey, hear about Nighttrain? got killed on I-5 yesterday. "yep, heard about it this morning, damn shame." "yep" that was about the extent of it

Old 06-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When I pass a truck I hang back till the lane is clear, then gun it to get past him as quick as I can. Got run off the road in a cage by a truck moving into my lane about 30 years ago and I never forgot the lesson.
That trucker didn't stop either...

Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
actually, with all 3 mirrors adjusted right, there is NO blind spot on driver side. there is a small one on passenger front, but even that is minimal.
I'm constantly scanning my mirrors and there is no way I'd miss a bike on the side unless the bike darted into wrong spot passing someone. Imagine the bike going into middle lane from the fast lane same time the truck was going into it while passing someone on the right.....
in any case, the trucker would know there was an accident .... even if he saw it in his mirror few seconds too late.
btw, I'm typing this doing 70 on I-40 in AZ
Ahhh...please drive and text a response when you stop, if you are texting there is no way you can have all your focus on driving.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone tell me why people insist on posting threads like this? First, I feel for the victims, but we all know that scooters are dangerous, as is driving a car, boating, skiing, hunting, etc., etc. (I know a guy who was killed by lightening on a golf course). So why the need to post this on a Harley board? There are lot of auto boards on the internet but there are no posts every time there is a fatal auto accident.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Ahhh...please drive and text a response when you stop, if you are texting there is no way you can have all your focus on driving.
I'm not texting. I got my laptop in the stand next to me just like cops do, but I can only do it on the open road. never in heavy traffic.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Pete838
Cruiser

Originally Posted by alkay191
I'm not texting. I got my laptop in the stand next to me just like cops do, but I can only do it on the open road. never in heavy traffic.
Still sounds dangerous. I think to myself all the time just how dangerous it is when I pull up next to a cop in traffic and he is pecking away at his laptop instead of paying attention to operating his vehicle.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I avoid big trucks like the plague and always try to go through an intersection behind a car. If they see the car, they see you behind it.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
Not quite sure why when someone sees a news article about a biker being killed they have such a strong desire to shove it under everyones nose. Riding motorcycles is dangerous always has been...always will be. Cant remember it being such a big drama back when, "Hey, hear about Nighttrain? got killed on I-5 yesterday. "yep, heard about it this morning, damn shame." "yep" that was about the extent of it
welcome to the internet.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Umby
Cruiser

Originally Posted by barjbar
always try to go through an intersection behind a car. If they see the car, they see you behind it.
Not necessarily true... the worst crash I have ever been in is when someone crashed into my car in an intersection because they saw the car in front of me and assumed the coast was clear behind it...

...and I don't know about the rest of you, but all of this morbidity lately is starting to mess with my head