General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Change Rant

++++BEGIN RANT++++++

I would seriously love to choke the SOB that is responsible for the design of the location of the oil filter on my 07 Ultra! I have done 22 oil changes on it (111,000 miles) and tried EVERY hint and tip on here and everywhere else, and still get oil all over the damn place. If I could just bitch slap the engineer one time I would feel much better!!

+++++END RANT++++++

Back to your regularly scheduled forum activities!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I stuff the are under the filter with paper towels then slip an aluminum "tray" I made from a piece of step flashing (used in roofing) under the filter. Usually the towels only get a few drips on them.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
reflexhunter
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried to shove some pigmat down around the area that it comes out the most ?

Probably wouldn't get it all but it should suck up most of it.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
I stuff the are under the filter with paper towels then slip an aluminum "tray" I made from a piece of step flashing (used in roofing) under the filter. Usually the towels only get a few drips on them.
I do something similar, and was maybe stretching it a little about oil "all over the damn place", but it shouldn't be this difficult to complete a clean, leak free oil change!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

never changed many other vehicle oil filters have you. That's what engineers do, leave a mess for a mechanic to fix or deal with.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Ya have to lay the bike sideways, raise it in the air. Then all the oil drips on you.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Oil Filter

I have only one solution to that problem and it isn't fast...After I finish draining the oil pan, I take a punch and drill and make 2 holes in the exposed end of the filter...12o'clock and 6. I then use an aluminum tray, part of a cheap cutting board, part of an old soda bottle, etc. I let it drain all night and in the morning it is finished...no runs, no drips, no errors.
Not very fast but effective.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM
mike lhc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a gear oil bottle. I cut out most of the bottle and slide it under the filter. On the spout I connected a tube and let it drip into the oil pan. Still not perfect but not as messy.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you drain the oil and let the bike set a while with the filter in place you can remove it without a single drop of oil getting on your engine. As to the exact time to leave it - its somewhere between an hour and 2 days..........I've yet to narrow it down.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Toyota Tacoma I have to reach up on the passenger side of the motor and try not to get fried on the header. With what little room i have ...i have to break loose the filter and unscrew it fast and get it down out of there (while laying on my back) because all the hot oil runs down my arm and usually reaches my pit. Im talking alot of oil too....oh and if i accidently tip the filter i get that much more oil down my arm.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Rant