General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
My 'B' motor on my previous '05 Deuce never could keep from spilling oil in 34 changes. On my 2011 RGU I bought an H-D orange oil filter drian "THING". It took four oil changes to learn how to use it and I am proud to say did not spill a single drop, not a drop on the fourth change.
You are the first person I have seen that has bought this, and it works? I might as well give it a try. Hell, I have tried everything else.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't bother changin oil.....no need except every 5-7 years

Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
You are the first person I have seen that has bought this, and it works? I might as well give it a try. Hell, I have tried everything else.

It fits a little better if you cut a slot to fit around the CPS and I think it helps if you push on it while unscrewing the filter.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

you dudes are way to clean. I pull the drain plug, while it running out I spin off the k/n filter. Then I try to use the catch basin to get both streams but it's always draining along the frame and finding new routes to follow so half the oil ends up on the floor. Once I've put it back together, I back out the bike and get about shovel full of sawdust from under the table saw to mop up the spilled oil. The rest i dump in the alley. Then next time I'm at the car wash I make sure I blast the area that had the oil. Presto, done, stress free.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,196 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I just keep a can of carb cleaner and a water hose close by. After I change the oil, I just spray some carb cleaner and rinse it off.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 AM
qwest
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Yamaha cruiser before the HD. The front header had to be loosened to change the oil filter. Thankfully I only kept it long enough to service it once before selling it. Pain in the a**

Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I don't bother changin oil.....no need except every 5-7 years
Yea, but that is just because you are in Ohio!! Y'all get four weeks of summer and it is raining three of 'em! I know because I lived up there for 40 years!! You never get a chance to ride

Old 06-10-2011, 05:20 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Do you have a oil cooler on your bike? You should try to get the filter off with a cooler down there. No room to do anything so I just let the oil run and doesnt take too much time to wipe it all down there.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM
pedallingfool
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
Yeah, what he said, it's less then 20.00. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I have one, use it every change, just make sure you get it all the way back past the filter housing, never a drop anywhere. It works!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a sheet of aluminum foil spread out under the filter into a drain pan, most of the time all the oil stays off the bike, sometimes not so much.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Rant