General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak at oil pressure sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011 | 08:15 PM
cdestuck
|
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default Oil leak at oil pressure sending unit??

A friend of mine has a rather new Triglide. Had the 1000 miles service done at the dealer last wek and sunday we took off on a 500 mile trip to Americade. While enroute, we discovered oil coating the right side of the bike. My first check was the back of the air cleaner and found oil on it. Also there was oil forward of the air cleaner but I figured air turbulance down there flung it all over the place. Checked the oil level and it was aprox 1/4 to 3/8" high. Nice dealer service, huh?

So I pulled the drain plug, drained out enough oil to bring down the level. Cleaned up the bike and over three days the oil really didnt stop messing up the bike. Looking closer, it appears that the oil just might be comng from thr oil sending unit which is right down there near the right foot brake. It doesnt look like its coming from the threaded area that screws into case but perhaps the front part of the unit near the end that the wires fasten onto the unit.

Has anyone had or seen these units leak near the front like this. And wondering if over filling the crankcase could have caused an increase of oil pressure causing this failure of the oil sending unit. Any thoughts? Will take to the dealer next week but just trying to figure this out. BTW, there was no oil leaks prior to the service. Thanks

Last edited by cdestuck; 06-08-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2011 | 08:33 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

that is where oil pressure switches generally leak. where the terminals come through the plastic or where the sender body is pinched down on the plastic portion.. very common in 4 wheelers..

i don't see how the extra oil could cause that, oil pumps have a pressure regulator device in them to maintain the correct pressure.