General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About fed up with Vanson leathers

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011 | 08:22 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Vanson has changed. Used to be that all their stuff was made in the US, now very little is. Their old leather stuff was really top quality protective leather. I have a couple of their leather jackets that I bought used on ebay and a pair of gloves and they are very protective with their competition leather. I tried to order a new jacket made in the USA from them over the phone and just gave up when I was told it would take about six months and they would not guarantee the price.

Old 06-07-2011 | 08:32 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain

Fox Creek Leather... great people, outstanding products. I wish I got a kick-back every time I sent someone to their website, check it out.

Old 06-07-2011 | 09:00 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

vanson almost went under when the economy tanked they were stuck with so much inventory and couldn't move it all. now i heard the company is impossible to deal with and just horrible customer service. it's a shame i own a made in usa model b and it is a real nice jacket.

i wouldn't bother with them anymore, who needs to wait 6 months for a jacket made in el salvador?

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:23 AM
Gutman
Road Master

So you want an off the shelf leather in a few days. Vanson has become th premier leather company with form fitted products for the public. I have had several dealings with them and they have all been positive.

Old 06-08-2011 | 07:15 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

They're pretty close to me but never liked the look of their jackets.

Old 06-08-2011 | 08:23 AM
Moondognyc
Tourer

I had a bad experience with Vanson. I knew they would be at the New York Motorcycle Show and called them about three months prior. I told them that I was interested in their jackets and asked if they would have one with them. The girl I sopke with said that my size was common but that she would take all of my info and they would have a jacket for me. I wanted a Comet with armor in a size 42. No problem. She told me the salesman to see when I went there. I called two weeks before the show and spoke with the same salesgirl. She told me that the salesteam was on the road but assured me that they would have the jacket I ordered when I went to the show. Soooo..I get to the show and make a b-line to the Vanson table. I speak with the salesguy that looks at me like I have four heads. I ask him to get in touch with the salesgirl and talk with her. He states that he has no time do it, but If I order one with him I can have it in 6-8 weeks. I politely tell him to blow me. Long story longer, I ordered online from Fox Creek and was blown away by their customer service and leather quality.
...not jumping on the bandwagon, but to me, customer service is more than half the sale.

Last edited by Moondognyc; 06-08-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2011 | 09:07 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gutman
So you want an off the shelf leather in a few days. Vanson has become th premier leather company with form fitted products for the public. I have had several dealings with them and they have all been positive.
Uh maybe read the threads and response 6 months, Deposit and no jacket or information.

You get charge a premium for their custom and they can't deliver.

Like said maybe they have all the business they need but I take my $ elsewhere.

Old 07-11-2011 | 08:41 AM
mrfikser
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrfikser
about mid march I phoned Vanson leathers to special order a textile jacket...talked to the salesman faxed him my measurements..got a price...was told all was good (this all took about 3 days)..the salesman said it would be ready about mid June, and that I would not hear from them before they mailed it (the only way I would know it was coming was by seeing the charge on my credit card)....So I wait until around May 26 or so and call them "just to make sure all is well"...Well to make along story shorter, they misplaced the order and only found it as we were talking and said they never started the order because they wrote the credit card info. down wrong and so it was declined (a phone call would have been nice) for the $50.00 deposit...Well a week or so later I get a receipt from them for $250.00 ...so again I call them and find that the amount for the jacket I going to be $250.00 more than I was originally was quoted (the original quote was made to me after they had all my measurements and the order was 'final'....So I am still waiting ..so yesterday they called and said they didn't like the way my measurements 'looked' and are going to send me a jacket off of the shelf to see if it will "fit"...and are going to from there....NEWS FLASH GUYS....its not going to fit...the way thing are going I MIGHT have my summer jacket by fall....GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
So here is an update... (approx june 1)Vanson sent the small jacket and it didn't fit ..And they asked me to go to a local Vanson distributor, so I did, they took new measurements and re-placed the order...around june 10 Vanson sent me a email stating I would have my custom made jacket by july 1 (end of june)...now its july 11 and still no jacket and no word as to why I haven't received it...One thing I can say about Vanson is at least they are consistant...in a sucky way...

Old 07-11-2011 | 08:55 AM
firefighter616
Club Member

Originally Posted by mrfikser
So here is an update... (approx june 1)Vanson sent the small jacket and it didn't fit ..And they asked me to go to a local Vanson distributor, so I did, they took new measurements and re-placed the order...around june 10 Vanson sent me a email stating I would have my custom made jacket by july 1 (end of june)...now its july 11 and still no jacket and no word as to why I haven't received it...One thing I can say about Vanson is at least they are consistant...in a sucky way...
Man, I'm sorry about your luck
I've bought two jackets from them off the rack and a LI BMW dealer. Now outa business
They fit like a glove
that was ten years ago

I hope the company comes around because I've been one shouting their name around here

Old 07-11-2011 | 11:04 AM
PrkChps
Advanced

Sorry to hear about this. My last Vanson experience was a complete custom riding jacket, made to measure, that cost about $400 in 1985. Can't imagine what it would cost now. The staff was great, the service was great, and the product was amazing. I'm sure the jacket is out there, somewhere. I got kinda round for it, and let a friend have it. I probably couldn't afford them now, anyway.

Quick Reply: About fed up with Vanson leathers