General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble seeing at night

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 AM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble seeing at night

As some of you may know I am new back to riding a bike after a long break for various reasons.

I don't remember having trouble seeing at night when I rode in the past, but today at 41 with corrective lenses, etc. I do.

I was running the stock headlight, and recently tried the silverstar bulb. It is marginally brighter (IMO) but especially on low beam isn't getting the job done. The headlight aim has been checked and is proper, but I just am not happy with the level of visibility I have.

I have read several threads about the HD LED. My preference would be to get the 7" light in Black.

I'm not talking about on highways, well lit roads, etc. I'm talking about unlit back roads with marginal road markings.

I'm willing to shell out the coin, but will be deeply disappointed if after doing so I don't feel like it was worth it. And yes I have seen the excellent write up between the two LEDs and it seems like it is a big improvement, but looking at a photo and driving with it at 45 mph on a back road aren't the same.

So here's the very simple questions I need an answer to:

For those of you that have plunked down the $500 for the LED, do you feel it was worth it? Does it make you feel appreciably safer (due to ability to see road / hazards) at night?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I could never see dropping $500 on the LED headlight especially with the mixed reviews. I put the dual halogen headlight in last year. Much cheaper than the LED and works well.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

Have you asked your eye doctor if he could do anything with your glasses to improve your night vision?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

use yellow tinted lense's at nightime

Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

I got a good deal at one of the local dealers promo events, got the 7" for under $400. had to wait a month for the updated version to come out but it was worth every penny. I had been using the Silverstar Ultra, doesn't even come close to how the LED lights things up. Takes some getting used to though.

Might also want to consider HID, I hear good things about those and cheaper $ than LED.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

could add the driving side lights.. they do a great job.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Dissociative
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
use yellow tinted lense's at nightime
IMO.... Yellow is only good for urban well lit areas IMO....i had them and as soon as the light ran out so did my vision....i actually had to ride home most of the way with no glasses as the yellow in the darkness felt liek i had sunglasses on.

in the city, they are GREAT...cut the glare right out....in the dark...THEY SUCK

Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
NAVY TEAM1
Novice
Default Hid

I put a new HID kit in my 09 Ultra and it's so bright that I haven't even had to use my high's since. It's like daylight now.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you smoke? If so it coulda made a difference over the years. Tabacco use reduces your eyes night vision capabilities.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
DAKO1
Stage I
Default H-d 7" led

Go with the H-D LED headlight. It's the best on the market for illumination and sturdy construction. You'll probably never have to replace it because it's so tough and there's no ballast to install like the HID so you can put it in yourself

$500 is cheap if it helps you avoid an accident.

Quick Reply: Trouble seeing at night