General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone climb Mt. Washington

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone climb Mt. Washington

Going to Laconia and thinking about climbing Mt Washington.

How is the ride? Is there a lot of dirt/ gravel terrain, how about the wind. I will be riding 2 up on a deluxe lowered 1 1/2 inches

Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

There is a short section of dirt road near the top, but it's hard pack. It can get slippery if it's wet but its not a big deal.

The wind can kick up a little sometimes. They close it down if it gets too heavy.

Great views, not a hard ride. Go easy on the brakes on the way down.

Last edited by Toypuller; 06-06-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 PM
wkdayridr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And try not to remember the fact that at least one biker loses his life each year on Mt. Washington during the rally.....

Be careful. Not for the inexperienced.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Done it 4 times, 2 of them with a passenger. Just watch your speed on the way down, stay in a low gear. Going up is easy. Keep your eyes on the road as there are long stretches, hairpin turns, etc. without guardrails. Someone did go off and die in the last couple years, but it's not an annual event as the above post would have you believe.
Jeff

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did it last yr. i was concerned about the gravel but it hard packed and its only a small section. keep your eyes on the road you'll be fine. the morning we did it temps90 degrees at the bottom 45 degrees at the top. the pic is one i the guy in our group

Attached Thumbnails Anyone climb Mt. Washington-mount-wash-012.jpg  

Last edited by cardoctor; 06-07-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once by Cog, once by car, and more times than I can remember by foot!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Yep, just did it last year...took the pictures, bought the shirt. It's really the very last part into the parking lot on top that could get ya if your not careful I think. We went the week or two after Laconia. They said they had 2 days during that event that they set aside for motorcycles only which is nice, gets the gray hairs off the road and out of the way. But we were told only one of those days worked out because the weather was bad for the other day. During our run the visibility was 40 miles when we started up and when we returned to the shop they had it posted @ 60 miles. Kinda like the Dragon, it's a gotta do thing, don't psych yourself out but respect the surroundings. Enjoy!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It is one of those rides you have to experience for yourself. I've done it twice on the '93. The second time I brought 5 friends along. The whole way there I went on and on and on about how great it was. After doing it, they agreed I was right. Even the rookie rider managed it with ease. Be safe and steady and you will be fine.

They won't let you up on a bike unless the conditions are good. You start up in the woods and on pavement. After a while you loose the pavement and are riding on hard packed gravel. Its not loose, but as someone said, it can get slippery if its wet. A little further along you are above the tree line and its all clear. Don't look down. Remember, your bike will probably go where you look.

There's lots to see on the way up, but you will likely be staring at the road or vehicle ahead of you. Leave lots of space between yourself and the vehicle in front. You probably won't get out of 1st gear near the top - you need the torque to keep moving forward at a safe pace.

My advice - take a camera and DO IT!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Big AL 76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never tried it on the bike but have done it on foot a couple times. Maybe I will get a few friends together and go ride up it.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hiked it when i was in camp as a teenager. it was about 80 degrees at the bottom and like 45 at the top. make sure u bring a jacket

Quick Reply: Anyone climb Mt. Washington