General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer ever make you feel cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That place didn't get the nickname "Manscrewso" for nothing. Their repeat business is marginal at best.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if they make you feel cheap, it you and your insecurites, but knothing wrong with feeling cheap hell nobody wants to pay retail

Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mandocaster
The dealer service guy left me pretty confused on this basic question: Do you have to have a tuner to adjust the AF ratio on an efi bike? Right now, I'm not trying to wring every last fp of torque and every last HP out of it. I just want the fuel ratio set so that the bike runs in spec, and so that I wont damage the engine or discolor the pipes. If I put a less restrictive AF on it with the new pipes, is my only option some tuner, cobra, etc... that will add 300 to 800 bucks to the cost of the job?
you can get it close to what the a/f was stock with just the dealer installed dowdload flash to the ecm on the bike with out a add on tuner, however a add on tuner will let you do more later on and also allow the bike to be tuned perfectly. harleys are set lean from the factory so with the download only you will still be lean just not so lean that you won't damage your motor. that being said the downloads are between 100 and 200 dollars each time and thats getting close to some tuners.... i guess to answer you question dealer download should get it back to spec

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 06-06-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I am cheap and I let the dealers know it.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

Go on youtube and type in "harley pipe install" and there's a ton of videos that don't take too long. Also on the D&D website they have a 2 part video on how to remove and install their exhaust. It's not what you have but you'll see exhaust swapping isn't hard..... and not worth paying someone $80 an hour to do.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
isellem
Cruiser

I have a 5 gal bucket full of cobra fi2000's and fuel packs...never have had a race tuner fail. I can tell you for a fact that any pipe other than the Screamin' Eagle Mufflers will need to be tuned...even without an air cleaner change. I've got the dyno sheets to back up my story if anyone wants to take a look. Just PM me and I will gladly share.

As for your dealer...they must be pretty well off to just turn away work. I understand them wanting to sell you the parts, but it's not like you're purchasing them from J&P, then bringing them in (I can understand the butt hurt there). I guess the question to ask is whether or not they want your business...I know there are dealers out there who do! (We do)

Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
never say never
Tourer

The dealers just love people like you wanting to buy thier sert, and wanting them to install everything for you,for god sakes man wake up put the fricken pipes on your self call jamie at fuel moto and get a high flow air cleaner and power commander for around 400 bucks and enjoy your awakening this is a non issue if you wont do it your self be prepared to over pay for everything(we are all cheap asses except for the rv trailer pulling rubs and dinks that can afford to pay for all thier services that they require during thier poser life time of spending needlessly.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by inaroush
My Dealer (Lighthouse in Huntington NY) actually did and does quite the opposite. He is supportive of me turning my own wrench and offers critical advice all the time.
I was in that place traveling once. Very impressed. More old bike museum than typical HD dealer in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:21 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are getting some bad advice, install the pipes. The new pipes are not going to change anything. Your motor is an air pump, it can only put out as much air as it gets in. Without changing the air filter, it is still getting the same amount of air in. On the other hand, if you changed the air filter without changing the pipes, you would need a tune.
Your bike comes from the factory needing a tune, to correct the lean condition. The tune is a waste of money without a high flow air filter.
The pipes are an easy install, do it yourself.
In your area, the temps are high in the summer, I would get a high flow air filter and a tuner. Look for a cheap fuelpak off ebay, until you have enough cash laying around or something better. Fuelpaks are not the best, but the work fine. The one I got cost me $75 on ebay.

Last edited by tlb; 06-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

You don't need a tuner if you are just putting on new pipes. The ECM will adjust to the pipes. Just make sure you have the O2 sensors in.