General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pets

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Ultra Classic Guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkgreen
Anyone have any good ideas how to take a 55lbs bulldog on a Ultra Classic long distant. Can't find a pet carrier for over 20 lbs plus the luggage rack want handle the weight ??
Are you riding two-up plus the dog or just you and the dog? If its just you and the dog, you could do the same thing I did in the picture below, but just shift the carrier forward over the rear seat. The carrier also has a louvered screen to keep the dog out of the direct sun but allow the air to pass through. Let me know if you are interested in building something like this I can get you more pics and sketches if you like.

Attached Thumbnails Pets-dscn0139.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM
kzoo
Road Master

This was in front of me a while ago. Yup, its a doggie!

Pets-2010-06-07-17.47.25.jpg

Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM
knepp1bj
Road Captain

trys waggs trailers...google search em...very very pricey

Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I've thought about the same thing for my border collie who is 50 lbs. It would be nice to just be able to go on the spur of the moment and not have to arrange pet-sitters or whatever, but I probably never would go through with getting anything. Once out on the road you have to look at the logistics of where to keep the dog if you have to go into any shops or what not. Plus I ride a Dyna and I don't want to go to the trouble of rigging up a trailor for the few times I would take the dog with me.

If you get something working though, I'd still be curious to see it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-iOEv8rGaM

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
knepp1bj
Road Captain
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal74
I've seen folks that are attached to their dogs.... wanting to take them everywhere ... even into stores and places to eat ... they treat them like children, for crying out loud...

BUT ... HARLEY RIDERS??? Dayum, GINA ... what are you thinking??????
I might of agreed with you before living in Europe for 10 years. Over there, it is perfectly normal and acceptable to take your dog everywhere including stores and places to eat.

What they don't take out in public over there are their fussy obnoxious children. If your child throws a fit in Germany, you can end up paying for the entire restaraunts food tab.
I can't tell you how many meals I've had ruined here in the States by little brats having a temper tantrum and their worthless parents doing nothing about it. Having experienced both, I'd much prefer a well behaved dog sitting behind me at a restaraunt than a 2year old that can hit the high 'c' note for 30 minutes or longer.

Last edited by HarleyRanger; 06-06-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I really hate to say this...

I have two pit bulls one is 70 and the other is 55 pounds. Needless to say I can't take them on a bike. So I have a sidecar just for playing around and take them out that way... But for a real road trip, I have a trailer... To trailer my bike if I have to take my dogs. Sometimes it is difficult to find a kennel that takes pit bulls.

I checked into the wags trailer, and honestly I was able to purchase an enclosed 7x12 single axle brand new for less then something like that, plus it has other uses.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

This is the best option, just thinking through dog safety, nobody wants to see a hurt dog, not even a rat dog. We all know dogs love the wind in their face as much as we do but on a long road trip they will get hit with stuff and they aint wearin goggles. The 7x12 will let the dong ride up with you and have inetraction on the long trips, short trips just leave them home with the TV on.

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
I really hate to say this...

I have two pit bulls one is 70 and the other is 55 pounds. Needless to say I can't take them on a bike. So I have a sidecar just for playing around and take them out that way... But for a real road trip, I have a trailer... To trailer my bike if I have to take my dogs. Sometimes it is difficult to find a kennel that takes pit bulls.

I checked into the wags trailer, and honestly I was able to purchase an enclosed 7x12 single axle brand new for less then something like that, plus it has other uses.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Anyone have any good ideas how to take a 55lbs bulldog on a Ultra Classic long distant. Can't find a pet carrier for over 20 lbs plus the luggage rack want handle the weight ??
A specially designed trailer is the only way to safely, comfortably and humanly take your larger friend along. Just my.02.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got two goldens that love to get in the wind... Made a trailer for them which doubles as my work trailer.

Around town....

When I take Rufus on longer trips...

Quick Reply: Pets