General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from a 2006 FLHRSI windshield to a SG Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
bjmilner
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Switching from a 2006 FLHRSI windshield to a SG Fairing

Does anyone have any know about of what it takes to change out a 2006 Road King Custom to fit a Street Glide style fairing with all the gauges? any help is appreciated. or feel free to email me at bjmilner@gmail.com

Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 PM
neogermania
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked that question one day a dealer. It will take a whole new wiring harness, plus getting a SG fairing: through Harley is quite expensive. Dealer said better of getting an aftermarket fairing, much less hassel.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a Quadzilla fairing on my Road king. While it is great and I love having the tunes you don't get the benefit of having all the gauges in the fairing. It is a simple installation that only requires you change out the stock Harley rubber windshield mounts for the supplied machined aluminum ones and hook up a hot and ground wire. Total installation time was less than 2 hours with beer brakes. If you choose to go this route shop around. I got a great discount from a local Indy here in NY who sells a ton of them. He ordered it in for me and the discounted price included shipping costs to his door. I saved about $300.00 off what all the other venders wanted! That's a lot of Bud lights!!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wouldn't be that bad if you have any mechanical skills at all. All the gauges will fit(maybe you'd have to open up a harness or two to re-route some wires). You'd need inner and outer fairings, frane fairing bracket, radio bracket, headlight assy, windshield, and lower fairing supports. I changed my '05 RK Classic into a RG a few years ago so I know what it takes. I took it all back to a RK last year when I traded it in for my '11 Limited. I sold everything here and a couple of other bulliten boards.

Attached Thumbnails Switching from a 2006 FLHRSI windshield to a SG Fairing-img_0260-1-.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i read your post different. i didn't take it to mean fitting an actual street glide fairing on your road king, but a bat wing type of fairing.

i've done this. on a flhrs as well. the biggest thing you are gonna have to do is to get rid of that chrome flyscreen. to do that, you will need a new riser cover, and the chrome spear on top of the headlight nacelle. it isn't that bad of a job, and isn't really that expensive either. if you do decide to go the ebay route, don't buy the riser cover from (i think) 08 or newer. it won't fit right.

there is at least one aftermarket fairing that will work with the flyscreen, but from what i saw, it didn't look right from the drivers point of view.

here's a couple of pics of mine....

Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right, my bad. Certain gauges are still pretty easy to install. On my conversion I had oil temp, oil pressure, volt meter, and a clock. My wife rides a RK Custom also and I'm not sure any of the fairings will fit with that clamp cover.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark98012
You're right, my bad. Certain gauges are still pretty easy to install. On my conversion I had oil temp, oil pressure, volt meter, and a clock. My wife rides a RK Custom also and I'm not sure any of the fairings will fit with that clamp cover.
i know there is at least one, but from the rider's perspective, i didn't care for the look of it. big gaping area where the fly screen fits in.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
mine1996
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 FLHRSI into a FLHX

My ride..

I did the challenge, I bought alot a parts from EBAY.. outside fairing, used new gauges set complete, fairing harness from a 2006 FLHX, mirrors , winshield,

Dealer parts, new inner fairing, fairing brackets, rubbers, blinker mounts, idiot light set/dash ,My sound system I added a aftermarket, with an 800 watt amp, bluetooth ready , great sounds and better price than HD setup.

I am now working on changing the console and swapping the ignition, I made my own wire harness that connects Fairing to wiring under tank area. All my dash / gauges work the exact same as a factory SG, iT'S NOT A HARD PROJECT, It does take time and patience and skills , alot of the time is finding the parts at a fair price in new type condition.

I will post pic's of my ride before/after to follow.

G'luck riders..