General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone going to Laconia?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011 | 06:48 AM
Tracker56
Road Master

It's been 7 years since I've been to bike week in Laconia, work always got in the way. This year that's not a problem and since I live in Western Maine, I'll be making several day trips. Really looking forward to it!!

Old 06-06-2011 | 09:42 AM
mrprpane
6th Gear

this will be my first time going

Old 06-06-2011 | 09:52 AM
bruder
Cruiser

I live in laconia,it's a waste of time,nothing but t-shirt vendors,it's become more of a family outing than anything.they are setting up now and it looks like several of the vendors are not going to come,good old Charlie st claire and his bull___ games.

Old 06-06-2011 | 10:43 AM
JefFLH
Road Captain

Bring your bug spray. The NH State Bird, the black fly, is out in force this year!

Old 06-06-2011 | 10:45 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Wish I was! Havent been to Laconia since 2007. It rained then too! LOL!

Old 06-06-2011 | 10:46 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bruder
I live in laconia,it's a waste of time,nothing but t-shirt vendors,it's become more of a family outing than anything.they are setting up now and it looks like several of the vendors are not going to come,good old Charlie st claire and his bull___ games.
I agree, been going there for over 30 years, and it has become so much
of a kiddie carnival, it makes me want to puke!

Gone forever are the great old days of Laconia!

I do like looking at the bikes, but the rest of it is for the birds....

Old 06-06-2011 | 05:39 PM
llbigbird
Road Warrior

Going Friday-Sunday. 2nd time. Burned out of the Americade here in NY

Old 06-06-2011 | 07:02 PM
TonyVT
Tourer

If the weather forecast holds up I will be there this Sunday.

Old 06-06-2011 | 07:06 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member

Been there last year and the year before. I will do the smart thing and avoid it this year. Going to the Harley rendzvous instead. 21+ party, no BS, no posers, no kids.

Old 06-08-2011 | 06:48 PM
bj03064
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bruder
I mostly agree, especially with your comment on t-shirts (what a waste of $$) and parents taking far-too-young kids down Lakeside, where some of the leather "goods" are intended for non-motorcycle use (unless she's into being REALLY uncomfortable "riding *****".

OTOH, there's no sales tax and no shipping charges if you buy stuff from Hot Leathers (and bunches of other vendors) up there. With the discounts and coupons from some of those vendors, there are some fairly good deals to be had on riding gear, parts, prescription eyewear (1 hour - and CHEAP!!!!), luggage... you get the idea.

Each time I go, I find vendors selling really cool stuff, and they're almost always hidden away in one of the low-rent locations. Last year, there was a really cool trailering hitch setup for my truck (would have bought it, but the truck died), a guy selling full-replacement molded non-fiberglass hard bags (without hardware) for $79/pair (still thinking about turning my Heritage into a "bagger tail"), a couple of ideas for throttle lock levers (bought a set of plastic press-on levers for $10 - love 'em!), and so forth.

There's always a couple of organized rides, but they're almost always to go AWAY from Laconia, seldom to go TO Laconia. And, each year, they close the Mt. Washington auto road and only allow bikes to make the ride to the top (Thursday, this year). That makes the ride a lot safer: ya don't have to ride all the way to the right in your lane just to avoid drivers who veer all over the place 'cuz they're looking at the view instead of the road. If you haven't seen the top of Mt. Washington, you gotta. When you get above the treeline... wow. Be sure to take a sweatshirt - you'll need it.

Lastly:

My bike loves to be washed by pretty young things wearing almost nothing, so I make sure it gets washed a bunch of times. The bike always seems to idle a bit faster afterwards... :-)

Quick Reply: Anyone going to Laconia?