General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Basic Rider Course - My first day experience - Kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

cass; go to any HD dealership - they hold classes (can register online), or contact your local LEO/Sheriff Dept who also has m/c training courses. In DC metro - the opportunities should be endless for training. Good luck!

Iceman, i contacted the dealer i got the bike from, and once you have your endorcement, they won't give you anything accept the basic, and they don't want you there because their class is taught to get the endorcement. Good idea about contacting the LEO's in the area. will do that.

thanks
cass

Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best things I got from the course was dual Braking using much more front than rear, cornering advice that seemed odd but works very well and turning your head to look where you're wanting the bike to go without worrying about steering it.

I plan to get an advanced course at some point. Check your community colleges or with your ABATE groups for advanced classes. Wisconsin ABATE has their dates posted on their web page.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Out here in Southern California I used to teach the MSF, now I teach Ride Like A Pro, the law enforcement based riding course.

Regardless of the course, I found most riders fall into two catagories. The ones who have been riding long time, and the newer riders. I actully prefer to work with newer riders because I then don't have 30 years of thei bad habits to work with. The best students are those who are open to instruction.

Women riders are the fastest growing segment of the riding population. I like newer women riders because they are open to instruction. A lot of the old timer guys all say "I've never done that before, why should I do it now?". Women are also less aggressive and seem to know their limits, however sometimes I do wish they would push themselves a tad more.

I get a lot of cops taking my course in preparation for motor school. They usually start with the basic Ride Like A Pro Course, and then move onto the Motor Officer Prep Course. I like working with those guys because I can see and sense the hunger in them.

There is NO SHAME in dropping a bike, unless the riders does not learn anything from it. When a riders drops a bike in my class I give them the dignity of picking it up by themself. It's very empowering, especially to women to be able to pick up a motorcycle on their own. How to pick up a bike is one of the first things I was taught at police motor school, and it's what I pass on to my students. After a bike drop I usually ask the rider for self diagnosis of what happened. It's usually from looking down, using front brake in a slow turn, pulling in the clutch, going too slow in a manuever, or putting a foot down, all easily correctable.

I appreciate it whenever a rider takes a course, any course. What it tells me is that they want to lean more and improve their skills, and that is a sign of a mature rider. The other BIG thing is regular practice. Taking 15 mins a month and working on a skill or manuever for the sole purpose of improvment. And riding with your buddies to get a bike to eat is NOT the same as practice. I tell them that if you plan on meeting somewhere at 10am to go for a ride, then show up at 9:30 and for half an hour work on something like braking, figure 8s. lock to lock turns and so on. Work your head turns and eye placement and manipulating all the controls. It will only make you a better rider and you'll be fully warmed up when you do launch.

Ride safe.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Here In NJ

I think if you go on line to register right now for a MSF class here in central NJ, you might get lucky and find an opening sometime in August/September at this point. You would also have the option of just showing up and hoping that someone doesn't show up. Did the course a few years ago. You get whatever weather you get! Hot, rainy or whatever!!
As for putting up with beginners, everyone has to start somewhere. If you consider yourself advanced, you could do the MSF advanced class or a class like Ride Like A Pro. It's good to be able to look at yourself and spot bad habits and be able to learn new tricks of the trade.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 AM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadnv
I took the class when I got my Fatty so as not to have to take the state sponsored class and all its BS and also got a 10% discount on my insurance. Not a bad class if you keep an open mind. Now here in Abq there is a woman suing the dealer, Harley Davidson and prolly anybody else she can think of cuz she crashed at the training and burned her leg. after seeing the news report I could see she is not the best candidate to be on a harley or a bicycle for that matter. It is kinda strange that there was a camera recording the whole thing, looks like a set up to me. Can anybody say WERE IS MY LAWER....WAAAHH!!!!
Didn't we sign a liability waiver BEFORE we took the class indicating we knew riding a MC can be dangerous? Sounds like she is looking for easy money.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Its been a few years since i took the course and I had between 5000 and 10000 miles experience on the street and years on dirt bikes when I took it. I learned things, Id say proper swerving was one thing that I recall learning in the course. It probably wouldn't hurt for a refresher or the ride like a pro class.

I was the most experienced rider in my class. At the time my car was dead, so my bike was my only transportation. We had one older guy who was a truck driver and had some stamina/health issues. He couldnt get through the first excersize of riding/duck walking across the parking lot he kept dropping the bike. I think he may have dropped it on his ankle once. They instructors felt bad but had to drop him from the course because he just couldn't do it at the time and was holding us all up. I think he got a refund and was told he could attempt the course again when his health/ stamina improved. Luckily he hadn't bought a bike yet.

The one woman in the class did run into the back of the bike I was on, said she forgot the clutch. Basically you would do an excersize and then go get in line for another, and while I was in line, she smacked into me. Luckily those Buell Blasts are pretty light.

Also had a guy who had already bought a Vrod, and was the slowest most nervous guy out there. In his defence he was pretty big for those tiny Blasts. I seemed to always be behind him in the line, and would end up catching up to him and then having to follow at his snails pace.

It's sunny so I'm about to go pick a direction and ride.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
if you get a chance take the advanced riders course. it will help you out a whole lot better.
I took that one on my Sportster, but I think it would have been a lot harder on the Softail. One guy took it on a modern OCC/Big Dog etc., style chopper. It scraped a lot on turns.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Brewby35
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took the course this spring (March) in Utah it was snowing lightly and in the 30's I would rather 90's than 30's.