General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas House Bill 2470 dies in committee

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts
Default Texas House Bill 2470 dies in committee

The Texas Senate committee on Transportation and Homeland Security killed off HB2470 singling out "Sportbikes" to carry only licensed riders and other nonsense. I'm personally for safety in motorcycling but this one got weird.
The US Defenders and the Coalition of Independent Riders in Texas are to be commended for the multiple call-to-actions that produced, through letters, emails, phone calls, face to face, committee testimony, and general support, enough pressure on our legislators that the bill is now dead.

Read the bill in question here.

Thank you USDefenders and COIR.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the reason for the law....tragic the girl was killed but no reason to outlaw riding on motorcycles since most of the idiots who ride like idiots won't obey the law anyway. No doubt some broken hearted parent of the dead girl is behind this.

Petition for Malorie’s Law

Malorie Elise Bullock, a 19 years of age Honor’s College student at Texas A&M University of Commerce, tragically lost her life April 8th 2010, while a passenger on a light weight motorcycle (crotch rocket). This petition is to help prevent further injury or death as a result of being a passenger on light weight motorcycles.

Riders and passengers of light weight motorcycles are required to obtain a permit for carrying a passenger or being a passenger on these motorcycles. Riders carrying passengers may only be experienced riders with the knowledge of changes and adjustments which are needed to carry passengers. A knowledge written test and rider’s skills test will be required, with a passing score, to obtain a passenger permit.

Riders and passengers will be ticketed when either one or both do not have a permit for passengers while riding on the light weight motorcycles.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Malorie's Law...

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/ke...cycle.accident

So because the driver was being stupid let's make a bill that requires the passenger to have a class M license too??? What the hell are they going to do? Say "No, you're going too fast for this corner let me take the controls..."?????

I swear some of the thinking that goes behind these laws.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Here is the accident:

http://heraldbanner.com/local/x16125...d-in-accidents

Here is a different story which looks like the operator lost control.

http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/90366334.html

Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

I am sorry for the loss of Malorie. Legislating a law to comfort a family is just not the American way, IMO.

Similarly in each legislative session there is an attack on the Texas Helmet Law. It always comes from families who have lost a loved one biking without a helmet. They produce a shock effect for the committee members by showing graphic photos to the members and attending audience.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robotech
Malorie's Law...

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/ke...cycle.accident

So because the driver was being stupid let's make a bill that requires the passenger to have a class M license too??? What the hell are they going to do? Say "No, you're going too fast for this corner let me take the controls..."?????

Chill. This bill will never become law thanks to reasonable thinking.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robotech

There usually not much thinking just emotion behind most of them. Too bad but the 18 year old simply did NOT have enough experience/skill/good judgement to pilot that bike. But, his parents let him buy it and her parents let her ride on it. At 18 & 19 either one of them could be in Afghanistan facing down an AK. Life is fragile. Kids feel invincible. Bad **** happens. I feel sorry for the Dad as I have 3 daughters much like her and don't know how I would ever handle his situation. I hope & pray I never know.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Chill. This bill will never become law thanks to reasonable thinking.
Oh I'm good...I just don't tollerate 'stupid' real well and the logic behind the drafting of that bill is just that, stupid.

I understand the parents' grief and that feeling of wanting to do something so that their daughter's death has some meaning...a positive that is birthed from it. I get that. Megan's Law is a great example...or Amber Alerts. Two bills that have had a possitive impact and actually DO something.

This bill would have done nothing to help a young girl in their daughter's situation. In reality, how many young folks would say "no, I'm not going to get on the back of your bike because it's against the law since I don't have an M class license." Some? Maybe, but not many. And enforcing it would be even worse.

A BETTER law, though still not what I think SHOULD be done, would be a law stating that you MUST have an ADVANCED safety course if you are under 25 and wish to own a bike that has a power to weight ratio above a certain amount AND cannot have a passenger unless you're over 18 AND have been riding for two years. THAT law would be better at keeping young ladies like Malorie safe.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,012 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Personally I'd like to see the entire US go the same system they have in a number other countries , size of bike depends solely on the experience level and time in the saddle of any rider . 1st year riders are restricted to small displacement bikes then they test you before you go up a size , 1 yr min. between increases . Would take a lot of unsafe riders off the streets , rockets & middle age crazies first time harley owners alike . I see people everyday who have no business being on a bike much less a big one .

Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nail on the head. I get tired of overzealous politicians playing to the sympathy vote without thinking. I am sorry the young lady died tragically but this nanny bull crap needs to stop. You can not legislate intelligence. The few times my daughter has rode with someone else I have made it clear to him that her welfare is his responsibility. She gets hurt--he gets more hurt---no excuses.
Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
I am sorry for the loss of Malorie. Legislating a law to comfort a family is just not the American way, IMO.

Similarly in each legislative session there is an attack on the Texas Helmet Law. It always comes from families who have lost a loved one biking without a helmet. They produce a shock effect for the committee members by showing graphic photos to the members and attending audience.

Quick Reply: Texas House Bill 2470 dies in committee