General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas House Bill 2470 dies in committee

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Why is it that when someone dies, they get a new law named after them. Parents needing to repair their stupidity/inadequacy as being a proper parent. Its turning in to a big friggin joke.
Kinda like making their stupidity last forever?

ENOUGH ALREADY!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the first report about the accident, the rider stated that a truck pulled out on front of him. If this is what happened the he apparently went off the road to avoid hitting the truck and hit a road sign. The stupid law wouldnt have changed anything except possibly the girl not being on the back and thats a big if.
Second report from a cop said he may have been traveling too fast and lost control in a turn and ran off the road.
I think its more believable that the truck cut out in front of him and he was traveling to fast.
Now the law was a knee jerk reaction to a bad situation. If they want to pass a new law how about one that holds cagers more liable/ responsible for hitting/ killing motorcyclists.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by kevmic28
In the first report about the accident, the rider stated that a truck pulled out on front of him. If this is what happened the he apparently went off the road to avoid hitting the truck and hit a road sign. The stupid law wouldnt have changed anything except possibly the girl not being on the back and thats a big if.
Second report from a cop said he may have been traveling too fast and lost control in a turn and ran off the road.
I think its more believable that the truck cut out in front of him and he was traveling to fast.
Now the law was a knee jerk reaction to a bad situation. If they want to pass a new law how about one that holds cagers more liable/ responsible for hitting/ killing motorcyclists.

It will not become law. We deal with some of the oddest legislation every session.
As for "Kill a Biker, Go to Jail" In the 2007 session I lightly worked on a bill (with many others) that would mandate a minimum 30 days jail time for negligence that caused the death of a biker. We failed miserably.
Fast forward to 2010. In Waco Tx (I think) a woman killed a PHer/biker. She had 3 previous DUI convictions and no current license, not for the DUIs but because SHE IS LEGALLY BLIND. She was found guilty (dont recall the charges) the judge gave instructions to the jury that hinted she should get 3 years probation. We almost had a riot in the biker communities of Texas. An extensive letter writing campaign and a promise to ride hundreds of bikes to the courthouse finally got him to realize the crime was damn near premeditated murder. Judge backed up a bit, she got 18 mths, if I recall correctly.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Part of being young is taking chances, driving fast. We've all done it, whether it's in the car or on a motorcycle. Singling out "light weight" motorcycles is ridiculous. I'd like to see the author of the bill try to pick up one of those so called light weights and put it in the back of a pickup.
Maybe we could just weld 500 lb weights to those bikes, that would slow them down a bit. But wait, wouldn't that also make them harder to stop? Hmm, maybe heavy bikes aren't the answer either.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
Yeah and when I was 18 I listened to what my parents said too. That's a pretty naive statement.
Maybe your parents didn't send you to College like these kids. When your kid is in College and you are paying the tab you have all kinds of control over them. My kids have to pay attention to what the wife and I say if they want to get their school paid for. If they jerkoff they get cutoff. Not naive at all...maybe your life experience is just very limited.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Personally i'd like to see a whole lot less f@@king laws. You want to get on the back of a beater 600cc sports bike with Beevis at the controls, well ride on little sister...

Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

amazing , need more laws to prevent stupid ?( aint worked yet)just increases revenue from fines
sorry about the girls death , sorry about any death especially young folks..
I dont know how my kids survived ..they rode with no seatbelts ..none were in the cars then..
no car-seats, standing up in the back seat..
Oh yeah , now I know ...dont crash ..be careful .

Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand why a law like this is thought to "save lives" but we live in a free society we make choices and those choices have consiquences. We cannot legislate away harm to anyone. The laws against violence for example dont stop it, I feel bad for this youngladys loss of life and her family and friends suffering. The world is dangerous and to live life means takeing chances. IMHO

Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
It will not become law. We deal with some of the oddest legislation every session.
As for "Kill a Biker, Go to Jail" In the 2007 session I lightly worked on a bill (with many others) that would mandate a minimum 30 days jail time for negligence that caused the death of a biker. We failed miserably.
Fast forward to 2010. In Waco Tx (I think) a woman killed a PHer/biker. She had 3 previous DUI convictions and no current license, not for the DUIs but because SHE IS LEGALLY BLIND. She was found guilty (dont recall the charges) the judge gave instructions to the jury that hinted she should get 3 years probation. We almost had a riot in the biker communities of Texas. An extensive letter writing campaign and a promise to ride hundreds of bikes to the courthouse finally got him to realize the crime was damn near premeditated murder. Judge backed up a bit, she got 18 mths, if I recall correctly.

I remember that one. I was hoping they would throw her under the jail, just not in it. I sent my letter too.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Maybe your parents didn't send you to College like these kids. When your kid is in College and you are paying the tab you have all kinds of control over them. My kids have to pay attention to what the wife and I say if they want to get their school paid for. If they jerkoff they get cutoff. Not naive at all...maybe your life experience is just very limited.

No my parents didn't "put me through" college. They helped out, gave me gas money, gave me a place to live in summer and on weekends. But the day I graduated high school (@ 17). It was free reign to do whatever I wanted. Now I was never a wild child or anything. So they didn't have much to worry about.

Even still, if I wanted to do something I did it and once I got into college life, and the working world they had no say.

Don't tell me my life experience is very limited. My parents were control freaks, and it sounds like you are too. Up until my childhood obligations were done. They still try to guide me, but they also realize adults make their own mistakes.

My mother tried to tell me to stop doing this and that, and the day I road in on the harley her mouth hit the floor. But in the end, she understands I do things I enjoy, not things that please her.

Quick Reply: Texas House Bill 2470 dies in committee