General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas House Bill 2470 dies in committee

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
Oh I'm good...I just don't tollerate 'stupid' real well and the logic behind the drafting of that bill is just that, stupid.

I understand the parents' grief and that feeling of wanting to do something so that their daughter's death has some meaning...a positive that is birthed from it. I get that. Megan's Law is a great example...or Amber Alerts. Two bills that have had a possitive impact and actually DO something.

This bill would have done nothing to help a young girl in their daughter's situation. In reality, how many young folks would say "no, I'm not going to get on the back of your bike because it's against the law since I don't have an M class license." Some? Maybe, but not many. And enforcing it would be even worse.

A BETTER law, though still not what I think SHOULD be done, would be a law stating that you MUST have an ADVANCED safety course if you are under 25 and wish to own a bike that has a power to weight ratio above a certain amount AND cannot have a passenger unless you're over 18 AND have been riding for two years. THAT law would be better at keeping young ladies like Malorie safe.

Understand and respect what you are explaining.
But such laws are completely open to the interpretation of the officer. With that an officer can and will pull over anyone. Once on the side of the road Terry Stop BS prevails. A cop cannot tell how old you are, how many years you've been riding, or what CC CI is for the bike you are riding, so they pull you over to check. Such a law gives them broader range of "reasonable suspicion" to pull over anyone they choose, anytime, every time. IMO

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand or respect it. It is nanny state mentality. Too many people expect the government and laws to protect them from every stupid notion that any idiot at any time will follow. It is a false sense of security at the loss of freedom and independence. If they make a law there is always someone who will not obey it, skirt it, or abuse it to their benefit. I don't tolerate the people well who don't think out these laws without real life experience of how they will be used and abused while being shoved down my throat.
Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Understand and respect what you are explaining.
But such laws are completely open to the interpretation of the officer. With that an officer can and will pull over anyone. Once on the side of the road Terry Stop BS prevails. A cop cannot tell how old you are, how many years you've been riding, or what CC CI is for the bike you are riding, so they pull you over to check. Such a law gives them broader range of "reasonable suspicion" to pull over anyone they choose, anytime, every time. IMO

Old 06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
fordaith
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly think anyone with a license should have a motorcycle endorsement. Would weed out the morons that can't ride a bike, and would put more bike-aware drivers on the road.

Then again, I'm also all for the German auto licensing method, required 18 months of performance training, at a cost of roughly $4000USD before you're allowed on the highway.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

People die, it happens. I don't want my government controlling my life any more than it already does. You can't fix stupid.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Personally I'd like to see the entire US go the same system they have in a number other countries , size of bike depends solely on the experience level and time in the saddle of any rider . 1st year riders are restricted to small displacement bikes then they test you before you go up a size , 1 yr min. between increases . Would take a lot of unsafe riders off the streets , rockets & middle age crazies first time harley owners alike . I see people everyday who have no business being on a bike much less a big one .
Would you still be ok with this, if there was no grandfather clause?

Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fordaith
I honestly think anyone with a license should have a motorcycle endorsement. Would weed out the morons that can't ride a bike, and would put more bike-aware drivers on the road.

Then again, I'm also all for the German auto licensing method, required 18 months of performance training, at a cost of roughly $4000USD before you're allowed on the highway.
I like this, but would one-up you. Make all "fully licensed drivers" also pass a commercial license test (pull a heavy-*** trailer). I get tired of seeing truckers have to dump their rigs to avoid killing some idiot that thinks a 20-ton load can stop as fast as their 3-series.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
There usually not much thinking just emotion behind most of them. Too bad but the 18 year old simply did NOT have enough experience/skill/good judgement to pilot that bike. But, his parents let him buy it and her parents let her ride on it. At 18 & 19 either one of them could be in Afghanistan facing down an AK. Life is fragile. Kids feel invincible. Bad **** happens. I feel sorry for the Dad as I have 3 daughters much like her and don't know how I would ever handle his situation. I hope & pray I never know.

Yeah and when I was 18 I listened to what my parents said too. That's a pretty naive statement.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,012 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt990724
Would you still be ok with this, if there was no grandfather clause?
I've had a traceable bike license 39yrs plus a number of advanced schools both taken and taught . The comment was about virgin riders with zero experience .

Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I've had a traceable bike license 39yrs plus a number of advanced schools both taken and taught . The comment was about virgin riders with zero experience .
Sooooo...that's a yes, you'd be okay with no grandfather clause then?

(Just busting your *****...LOL)

The reality is, and I didn't make this clear in my other post, is that we can pass or try to pass whatever laws we want. My earlier comment about a possible alternative measure was meant to reflect that the original proposed resolution really wouldn't do a thing to help someone in that girl's situation and that, at least the thought I came up with, would address the real problem...the inexperiance and youthful exuberance of the person in control of the vehicle. However, no law can truely be a failsafe to the inexperiance and inflated ego of the young human male. LOL

I mean, we all did dumb crap as a teenage boy, I'm sure. (obviously speaking of myself here...)

Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,012 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
Sooooo...that's a yes, you'd be okay with no grandfather clause then?

(Just busting your *****...LOL)

The reality is, and I didn't make this clear in my other post, is that we can pass or try to pass whatever laws we want. My earlier comment about a possible alternative measure was meant to reflect that the original proposed resolution really wouldn't do a thing to help someone in that girl's situation and that, at least the thought I came up with, would address the real problem...the inexperiance and youthful exuberance of the person in control of the vehicle. However, no law can truely be a failsafe to the inexperiance and inflated ego of the young human male. LOL

I mean, we all did dumb crap as a teenage boy, I'm sure. (obviously speaking of myself here...)
The simple fact I survived my first 3 months on 2 wheels still amazes me , I wouldn't know a thing about that young ignorant male stuff .

Quick Reply: Texas House Bill 2470 dies in committee