General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody know how to seel a bike when harley still has title???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody know how to seel a bike when harley still has title???

its been a love hate relationship...

but i'm about 90% sure i want to sell my 06 dyna

When i first bought it.. i HATED IT.. I bought it a year old from the dealer.. the dude that had it before, put a cam in it, and then had it tuned with a power commander... when he traded it it.. he put all ths stock stuff back on it and pulled the power commander... it ran lean and hot and i bitch and bitched until the dealer put it on the dyno and FIXED it... (and made me buy a $500 SAFC module so they could reprogram the ECU)

After that.. I really got to like the bike.. good sound, lots of power, vibrates a bit.. but.. its a dyna.. unbalanced motor... nature of the beast.. you learn to ride in the "sweet Spots" which, funny enough, are right around the speed limits LOL...

BUT... after three of my buddies have been killed on their bikes.. I've been riding less and less.... then my dyno guy and inspeciton mechanic was killed senselessly last year by some asshat that turned in front of him, and had killed another biker in the same fasion at the same place a couple years before that...

for example.. this morning it was beautiful out, so i was going to ride to work... but thats 48 miles on the highway and city traffic at the end.. and I started getting worried about the trip... and i pissed around until it was too late and just took the car....

Its insane i know.. but i'm finally at a place in my life where i actually have something to live for... I'm engaged now and plan to be married next spring (i'm 40... it took a while!!)

Only problem is.. i still owe some money on it...

Anybody know how to sell a bike when harley still has the title???

Oh.. if anybodys seriously interested.. its an 06 supah glide custom, 9,500 miles, forward controls, cam, filter, V&H big shots (both sets of baffles), Super tuner, dyno tuned, detacheable windshield, engine bar (not on bike), Avon Venom tires (oh thoes tires are SWEET).. looking for around $10.5k.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I sold a rig once that I owed on and the bank held the title. I had the buyer make a cashiers check out to the bank and gave me that for the payoff along with whatever was extra. I received the title, signed it and sent it to the new owner.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

The ONLY way Harley Credit (EagleMark) is gonna let go of that title is for you to send them a nice check to payoff what is still owed. Assuming YOU dont have the cash to do that then you are gonna need someone else's money, that being either your buyer or your buyer's financing partner (bank, credit union, whatever).

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it to a dealer, along with the buyer and let them make the sale transfer.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When I sold my FLHX I had the buyer's bank send the payoff amout to HD credit, I got a separate check for the rest. HD sent me the title and I met the guy after I had it notorized and deal done. Now if you are selling for less then payoff you need to get a personal loan to make up differance.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced

Thats kinda what I figured..

The Harley was the first vehicle I financed... and i've hated every minute of that part of the deal...

I'm 40.. still ower 24K in student loans, have a mortgage and am trying to start a custom guitar manufacturing business out of my own pocket.. sooo

no way in HELL do i have the 6K I owe on the bike laying around......

Hmmmm..... guess i'm gonna have to get creative.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wild Card
When I sold my FLHX I had the buyer's bank send the payoff amout to HD credit, I got a separate check for the rest. HD sent me the title and I met the guy after I had it notorized and deal done. Now if you are selling for less then payoff you need to get a personal loan to make up differance.
That might be the option.....

Definately wont be selling for less than i owe... i've been paying ahead on it.. ne of the few smart money moves i've made lately.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Daddy-O
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD dealers will usually handle the transaction for a fee. I think they call it Dealer Assist. Technically, the dealer buys the bike from you and then sells it to your buyer. It's not cheap though, about $500 in my area. It includes an inspection by the dealer but the depth of the inspection varies from dealer to dealer. Can be a good thing for the buyer since the dealer will usually offer financing, an extended warranty and a percentage off additional accessories.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 06-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Simple. Buyer makes a check to you and the lein holder and you endorse it and send to the lean holder who sends the balance back to you. No need to give money to a dealer. It is just a total rip off service that no one in their right mind should ever use.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-02-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

"Looking for around $10.5."

:i con_laugh:

Last year I purchased a new 2010 Dyna SG for $10.5K from the dealer. Even in a strong market an 06 could not come close to that.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-02-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: anybody know how to seel a bike when harley still has title???