General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley numbered paint jobs, and insurance claims.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:49 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I've seen as it relates to finding your set in a P&A catalog. I know for the last two years Harley has put out a Spring Supplement catalog in addition to the regular one. In it are paint sets not shown in the regular catalog.

I just happened to have found one on ebay for 2006, contact the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-H-D-Accesso...item2a110880d3

In my opinion it would be helpful to have the info for your agent should something happen. The new paint sets are guaranteed to be available for damage replacement for seven years. I don't know how long the older ones are available.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a heads up on the MOCO making available sets for 7 years ..... i recieved my set and the rear fender had a dent at the bottom contacted dealer who in turn contacted MOCO they replied fender not available or indeed complete set so it cost them ..... profesional respray on rear fender and for my trouble as a sign of good will from them a complete chrome CVO seat and rear chrome pillion ...... dont matter what why you cut the cake it cost them the seat works out about $800 retail

Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,411 Likes on 2,589 Posts

414 343 4056 and ask for someone in CVO.that's the H-D factory.There is a painter here in the Atlanta area that repairs these paint set with amazing results.PM me and I'll put you in touch with him if needed.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought. In the UK insurance market you can get an "agreed value" policy. The easiest we have is via Harley Insurance Services so maybe you can get the same in the US. What you do is tell them what you think it's worth and they don't question it but they send a form that you take to your HD Dealer who completes and stamps it, you send it back to the insurer. The dealer confirms the extras on the bike and advises what they think the value is, they tend to agree with you because owners spend more money with them than the insurers do. If you don't send the form back don't expect to get the agreed value. Make sure you have invoices, receipts, photos etc to prove everything if there is a claim. I do this but haven't yet claimed so don't know how good it is but I've heard it's fine if you have receipts.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:51 PM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok I have actually been through this with my insurance company (progressive)

I had and 03 Road King with a numbered paint set from HD. The number 44/100) was painted on the tank towards the back right hand side.

I had bought the bike used from a friend who had paid ~$4,500 for the paint.

The bike had 7K mile on it and looked like it just came off the showroom floor.

Last fall i hit a dog at night and it cracked the frame at the engine guard and messed up the front fender and the left side hard bag.

Progressive was initially willing to fix it (new Frame and checked with HD on the paint set) the problem was the paint set was no longer available from HD. The adjusted wanted to have it painted locally. I asked him if they would still cover it as if it was original and he said no.

At that point we negotiated a settlement for $14,500 after starting out at $10,000 due to the paint.