General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trust in radar/laser detectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Even if your radar detector is 100% effective, it only detects radar that is transmitting and all the radar I've ever seen had a manual switch, so the police can wait until the see a speeding car before pulsing the radar (estimating speed visually is a big part of the radar training). Once the detector goes off, you have already been clocked and it's too late to slow down. I consider them a waste of money, but I guess they could prevent the ticket from a cop just driving along with his radar transmitting continuously.

Absolutely.

And as said, if they are running laser, your detector beeping just lets you know to go ahead and pull over.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

Originally Posted by Montana Cowboy
If your scratched, ask in politely to see his tuning forks. Rules say he should test his equipment between every ticket. Lot of boys don't even carry a set. That will automaticly get your cite tossed.

I wouldn't suggest putting your money on that.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

Many years back when I worked the road I ran radatr and stopped a guy with a detector. I had to ask why didn't he slow when warned. He just lowered his eyes and told me he forgot to turnj it on. Had to let him go. Felt bad for him.

But todays radar unit has the instant one feature. They are kept in standby until a vehicle operating at a high rate of speed approaches. Then the hand control is activated and a time is obtained in a second or two. No one can slow that quickly.

In the ten years since I've run radar I'm sure the units have gotten much more advanced. Many now interface with the video and gps units.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I used to carpool with a guy who had them and swore by them. I usually would spot the police cars before the detector went off.
I figured that if a cop pulled you over and saw one of those things you're chance of getting a warning dropped to about 2%.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cops don't give warnings anymore,, it's all about the almighty dollar & revenue

it sounds like you guys think that barney's out there just sitting there waiting to pull the trigger on his little lazer gun once & zing,,, you got a ticket

when in reality,, barney's zinging that trigger on EVERY VEHICLE HE SEES & it's lighting up my detector,,, well in advance i might add,, like a friggin christmas tree

Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

Originally Posted by NorCal Dog
cops don't give warnings anymore,, it's all about the almighty dollar & revenue

it sounds like you guys think that barney's out there just sitting there waiting to pull the trigger on his little lazer gun once & zing,,, you got a ticket

when in reality,, barney's zinging that trigger on EVERY VEHICLE HE SEES & it's lighting up my detector,,, well in advance i might add,, like a friggin christmas tree

Yes, entirely impossible that a cop could possibly observe and estimate speed on a vehicle that appears to traveling at a speed in excess of other vehicles around it, and zero in on that vehicle before triggering radar or laser.

That would NEVER happen.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Rutland
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

A radar detector is just a tool but not one i trust 100%.
I have use one daily in my car for years.
It is very good to excellent in locating speed traps/revenue collection sites.
It is no good if you are the only car on the road due to instant-on.
It should not be used as an excuse to speed in my opinion.
Again just a tool, kinda neat to get the alert a mile or two before a trap.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I gotta agree with Truckerdave on this one, I've been running high end expensive detectors for over 25 years now and yes I have rec'd speeding tickets, points (demerits), and fines but believe me the tickets I avoided are many more. With the miles I travel the detector reminds me to pay attention even when I'm not speeding. I by no means, excessively speed, but consider a ticket issued for a few mph over the limit is just not fair for some of us dependent on our driving record and mileage travelled.

At any rate, whenever my unit sounds, I check the speed. So, I trust the fact that they help me to stay alert out on the hiway.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had them when I was a young with a hot-rod GTA. Just last year I purchased a new Acura with a 6 speed and the car is so smooth and quiet when I look down I was always speeding and it seemed like I was barely moving. I purchased a Valentine One. I purchased the V1 because it is upgradable. Send it in and for a few buck the factory upgrades it to fight the latest radar/laser technology. No need to go buy a new-improved unit.

No detector is fool proof, you have to learn to use them. As stated they are a tool to use and it does cause me to check my speed more often. What I love about the V1 is the directional arrow and the number system that tells you how many targets it is detecting and where they are and their relative distance.
Laser is tough to beat no doubt about it, what I have read is that the police laser units are so expensive that they are not widely used due to the expense. Still, they are out there.

It has saved me quiet a few times. Ka narrow-band pulse radar is the toughest to detect and you just need to learn your detector to know when it is showing the typical signs of pulse radar. The V1 will detect it, the range is much less but just pay attention and it works fine. Only pitfall is like the other peeps have said, if your alone on a road and speeding and the LEO is using pulse, your gonna get nailed. Just use common sense and you have a great tool at your disposal.

Quick Reply: Trust in radar/laser detectors