General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am totally pi$$ed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of good advice here; hope all works out for you. I just had a claim against Farmers and it took 2 months to work out despite the fact their insured accepted liability right away.

Foremost adjusters handled the claim for Farmers. They tried to hand me a load of BS several times but didn't know I've worked in and for the insurance industry for the past 15 years. So, I'd suggest - (1) don't trust what the adjuster says, they out-and-out lied to me more than once (2) do your homework. the internet is an awesome tool (3) don't back down from what you know is right and logical

Civil litigation is based on a lower standard of proof - "Preponderance of the Evidence" - than criminal trials. Basically, it comes down to what and who 12 people believe. Not hard to imagine that you would prevail.

Next - don't ignore making "diminished value" as part of your claim. Basically it says a bike that's been rear-ended (even if repaired) has been in an accident and the fact of the accident, when disclosed at resale, will impact the market value of your bike. In most states, you are entitled to collect those damages.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Dyna_in_the_works
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully there is never a next time, but in case it does happen again... Calmly sit down on the pavement beside your bike, call 911, say you'd just been rear ended at a light. Inform the dispatcher you're having a difficult time breathing and are feeling extremely anious. Sit back and wait for all the pretty lights and sirens to come roaring in your direction. Its just sad that in order to protect yourself we have to result to such things.

You know, thats just like, uh, my opinion man...

Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KSRoadKing
What a b!tch. Can't believe some people don't just own up to what they've done and be honest. Actually I can believe it, but still irritates the **** out of me.
The little bitch was probably avoiding an asswhooping from dad for not paying attention, or granny told her that she wouldn't get the car anymore.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,252 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Your insurance will cover it and then go after theirs, fokin' dicks.

Similar **** like that happened to me. I stopped at a light that was yellow and going red because of the traffic on the other side of the intersection turning right. I got rear ended, and the cops showed up and did not ticket the person that rear ended me.
His insurance tried to say or rather imply that it was my fault and that I must have wanted to get hit, if you can believe that ****?

Anyway, my insurance progressive said that they would take care of it and did BTW. Then his insurance company wanted mine to pay for his repairs and filed a court date. My insurance was going to go to court w/me but at the last his company's strong armed tactics didn't work and they backed off and out.

Insurance companies are getting real chicken-**** these days.
They might try pulling the same type of crap on you too.

Just get your bike fixed first off and don't wait on the other person's insurance to do it.
Go through your's.

Keep us posted on this, other's need to know too.
Good luck!!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

It seems that there is no consequence for lieing in civil claims court anymore. If her story is found to be false, she can just make up another one.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

I had a guy run into the back of my bike a couple of years ago. I was in traffic and stopped to let someone in. The guy behind me didn't stop and knocked me a good 15 feet. I got the guys phone number.

I was just a mile from the dealer so I got there ok. They pulled my fender out so I could ride home. They also gave me an estimate for the repair.

I called the guy and he sent me a check,got the bike fixed and everything was ok.

Looking back I should of gotten his address, insurance info etc. I was damn lucky he was honest and paid.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SugsPa
Thanks for posting this. Hopefully this will never happen to me, but if it does, I'm going to start yelling I'm hurt. I'll have the police and an ambulance there. The things you have to do now days to protect yourself.

SugsPa
+1 I would have had the cops there for sure.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
That sucks that the police won't come. Hell, I have to respond to all little piddly crashes even in parking lots!

If the pic in ur signature is u, I hope u didn't get on ur bike that nite. otherwise it is protective custody for u, or not....

Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

((((((Gonz))))))))))