General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Accidental throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Sounds like you need more pullback than new risers are going to give you. Take your time, do the research and pick out the right bars for you.

But the first thing you need to work on is clutch/throttle control. Just like when you first learned to drive a stick shift car that is only going to come from practice and more practice. In a safe environment which imo is a long straight and lonely stretch of road. Not a parking lot.

I just taught my son how to drive a stick and what I kept drilling in his head is that when the clutch is pushed in the car steers and brakes just like the automatic he was used to. If the clutch is in it doesn't matter if you have a brain fart and twist the throttle wide open when you actually want to stop.
I agree, while I KNOW that I initialy had the clutch pulled in I had to at some point let it go for the bike to take off as it did. I guess I let it go and paniced when I heard the engine race as it did. I was almost completly stopped when it happened too, lol.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skratch
before your class, get the ride like a pro dvds and watch them, that will help you to not feel like a total noob when you get to class. also, might help to keep you from learning 'bad habits' early on that your class will be making you unlearn.

you might think about a seat that moves you up forward some as well as handlebars with more pull back.

also, adjust your switch housings so that when you have your fingers extended over the brake and clutch levers, everything is in a straight line.

the way bikes come from the factory, or even previous owners, is not necessarily the way that will fit the new owner. adjustments have to be made.
Thank you, sir. DVD's sound like a good idea... will order in the morning.

BTW, love ya sig.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member

DVD's and a Rider's course are not going to do much good if you don't fit the bike. New handle bars, and maybe a close or reach seat will fix your issues.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Ventana
No, believe me I'm not riding above my skill level and I'm not rushing it. I do need to relax more though. sometimes i feel like I had been working my hands out after a ride, lol.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were riding above your skill level.
Slow speed, parking lot skills are very important and are the hardest part about riding.
Carry a tennis ball around with you, have one in your car/truck and on in front of the T.V. Squeeze it to build up your hand muscles.
Also, nothing wrong with shadow riding when your sitting around the house, or in a waiting room. Imagine you are on the bike (at the starting line of a race just to make it fun). Go through the motions, throttle, clutch, shifter and brakes. It won't take long to imprint the controls on your mind.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Ventana
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vtwin1340
DVD's and a Rider's course are not going to do much good if you don't fit the bike. New handle bars, and maybe a close or reach seat will fix your issues.
Yep, gonna work on those issues as soon as the bike is fixed.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Ventana
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piasspj
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were riding above your skill level.
Slow speed, parking lot skills are very important and are the hardest part about riding.
Carry a tennis ball around with you, have one in your car/truck and on in front of the T.V. Squeeze it to build up your hand muscles.
Also, nothing wrong with shadow riding when your sitting around the house, or in a waiting room. Imagine you are on the bike (at the starting line of a race just to make it fun). Go through the motions, throttle, clutch, shifter and brakes. It won't take long to imprint the controls on your mind.
lol, no worries, piassp, I didn't take it that way. I appreciate the advice.

My wife already thinks I'm nuts. I can't wait to hear what she has to say when she sees me shadow riding in front of the TV. lol. Reminds me of my younger hockey playing days. Back then skates were made of leather and the usual way to get them to fit you better was to soak them in warm water and let them dry on your feet so they would mold to your foot. She thought I was nuts then too, lol.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

You just need more practice. After you get the right handlebars on there, of course. Find yourself a big, open, empty parking lot and spend two or three hours each day for a few days, just going over the basics. Practice your stopping and low speed turns, figure eights and U turns. Practice using only two or three fingers to apply the front brake.

You'll be fine. Oh, get David Hough's book "Proficient Motorcycling". It helped me a bunch.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slow tight turns require a lot more skill than just riding around the block. Ease off the death grip on the bars. By the end of summer you'll be surprised how well you'll be able to handle your bike.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry about using the front brake when making slow turns. You will go down if you grab it in that circumstance. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good on ya' for learning to ride at 60!

Please, stay off the roads and out of the parking lots until after your MSF class. You are making beginner mistakes that are easily overcome and the class will address that. There is no reason to end your riding career before it begins. Even if local classes are full, show up the day of with your gear, a registration form and the money and see if there are any "no-shows". The chances are pretty good that you will be able to get in.

IMHO, i wouldn't go swapping bars and seats until after the class either. You should be able to get your Dyna to fit pretty darn close as it sits. You dont know what is comfortable yet and you could very well be wasting money making changes before you know exactly what you want.

No disrespect intended. Everybody's been there. I just don't wanna see you or anyone else get hurt in an avoidable incident.

Quick Reply: HELP: Accidental throttle