General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Accidental throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I know I'll get pooh poohed for this but here goes. Can you borrow somebody's old dirt bike to practice the basics on. Like clutch, brake, clutch friction point, braking and what you have already discovered turning without grabbing the throttle. If you can do this in a field that would be even better.
That would be nice but sadly there's none that I know of to be borrowed. LOL, and finding an open field in NYC is a pretty slim chance.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the rider training course, it sounds to me that you need to get some bars that fit you better and place them closer to you for a better fit. You need to feel comfortable when riding and not having to "reach" too far is one way to get there.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

..take the bus...riding motersickles ain't for everybody..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klap
..take the bus...riding motersickles ain't for everybody..
Well, I knew sooner or later there had to be a least 1.....

thanks guys, all good info that i will certainly heed...

You too Klap, thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to respond as it is certainly good advice also.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You almost had to be rolling your hand back to accentuate the brake. Could be the fit, could just be lack of knowledge or more appropriately "muscle memory" which does come with practice.

Your hand should be flat on the grip and your fingers pulling back on the lever. Hand should not be moving at all.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Don't worry so much about covering the front brake, you don't want to use it in slow speed turns anyway.
When you do use the front brake you don't need to wrap your whole hand around it, just your finger tips (actually the tips of two or three fingers is enough). Try just resting them on the top of the lever.
If you're like most of the new riders I've ridden with you can loosen your grip on the throttle as well.
Relax and have fun, don't ride above your skill level.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you need more pullback than new risers are going to give you. Take your time, do the research and pick out the right bars for you.

But the first thing you need to work on is clutch/throttle control. Just like when you first learned to drive a stick shift car that is only going to come from practice and more practice. In a safe environment which imo is a long straight and lonely stretch of road. Not a parking lot.

I just taught my son how to drive a stick and what I kept drilling in his head is that when the clutch is pushed in the car steers and brakes just like the automatic he was used to. If the clutch is in it doesn't matter if you have a brain fart and twist the throttle wide open when you actually want to stop.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

before your class, get the ride like a pro dvds and watch them, that will help you to not feel like a total noob when you get to class. also, might help to keep you from learning 'bad habits' early on that your class will be making you unlearn.

you might think about a seat that moves you up forward some as well as handlebars with more pull back.

also, adjust your switch housings so that when you have your fingers extended over the brake and clutch levers, everything is in a straight line.

the way bikes come from the factory, or even previous owners, is not necessarily the way that will fit the new owner. adjustments have to be made.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
You almost had to be rolling your hand back to accentuate the brake. Could be the fit, could just be lack of knowledge or more appropriately "muscle memory" which does come with practice.

Your hand should be flat on the grip and your fingers pulling back on the lever. Hand should not be moving at all.
I think it might have been all of the above, Indy. When I was at the dealer exlaining I could see my hand rolling on the throttle while I pressed the break. Now that I know where to look I have something that I can work on.

thanks again.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piasspj
Don't worry so much about covering the front brake, you don't want to use it in slow speed turns anyway.
When you do use the front brake you don't need to wrap your whole hand around it, just your finger tips (actually the tips of two or three fingers is enough). Try just resting them on the top of the lever.
If you're like most of the new riders I've ridden with you can loosen your grip on the throttle as well.
Relax and have fun, don't ride above your skill level.
No, believe me I'm not riding above my skill level and I'm not rushing it. I do need to relax more though. sometimes i feel like I had been working my hands out after a ride, lol.

Quick Reply: HELP: Accidental throttle