General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Witnessed a fatal motorcycle accident.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Witnessed a fatal motorcycle accident.

I was driving with my wife in our F150 to my daughter's house for lunch yesterday when we saw traffic stopping in both lanes of a 5 lane highway. I did not actually see it but I had a bad feeling and as we got closer I saw a car blocking the 2 south lanes and a motorcycle on it's side and people around something. My wife is a registered nurse, so I pulled over to see if she could help. A young man in his 20's was lying on the ground, his Triumph sport bike next to him. The car was a Toyota Corolla with a large dent in the driver's door by the b pillar. A very old Asian couple, that could barely walk, by the car. I watched as my wife tried to help but I knew there isn't a lot she can do. A guy standing next to me must have seen my Harley Davidson cap and told me he was riding his bike eastbound and stopped as the red light changed from green to red. He said the guy blew by him, at high speed, between him and the car in the next lane. He said it scared the crap out of him. The Asian couple pulled out of the CVS drug store to make a left and the bike was going so fast they didn't see it coming. The guy woke up, started crying, and moving. The cops came, ambulance, etc. Both myself and my wife thought he was going to be ok. My wife works at Botsford Hospital, where they took him. She says he died about 10 minutes after arrival. Very sad and a shame, but you can't ride like that on public streets.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Sad to hear.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Danger to all on the road, he should have taken it to the track.

Last edited by DPete; 05-31-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a hard time feeling bad for morons who ride like they are on a race track and get killed.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure a lot of us(I know I did) rode like idiots when we were young but lucked out and survived. Sad to see someone die so young and the pain his parents will go through. Life looks a lot different at 50 than 20.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,816 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
I'm sure a lot of us(I know I did) rode like idiots when we were young but lucked out and survived. Sad to see someone die so young and the pain his parents will go through. Life looks a lot different at 50 than 20.
Could not have said it better myself...Thank you,

Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
I could not agree more at 55 years old now my life 30 years ago was so much different. I made tons and tons of mistakes. Thankfully Im here to and very grateful but lots of good friends and family are not. Doesn't make how he was driving right but I know I've been there.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
I have a hard time feeling bad for morons who ride like they are on a race track and get killed.

I was a "moron" too when I was in my 20's and out riding. That was many decades ago. I was lucky enough to survive it. It could have been me in my younger days. I realize it and thankful it wasn't.

I'm guessing that most of us who grew up riding in our teens and 20's were "morons" too.

Pretty harsh sentiment towards a young man who just lost his life. Did you ride when you were young? Or, just never took any chances?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
I'm guessing that most of us who grew up riding in our teens and 20's were "morons" too.

Pretty harsh sentiment towards a young man who just lost his life. Did you ride when you were young? Or, just never took any chances?
Well... no, I never rode like a moron. I was fortunate enough to have common sense and understood that endangering the lives of others, just for a cheap thrill was probably not a good thing.

Just 2 weeks ago I was riding across a 2 lane bridge over a local reservoir w/my GF, as well as about 6 other cars going the same way - all just out for a leisurely Sunday ride. Coming towards us from the other way I see 2 crotch rockets fly by - obviously racing each other, and then a third one, riding a very shaky wheelie and drifting towards our side of the road! This *sshole came down with his front tire on OUR side of the double yellow line and just barely had enough control to get it back on his side of the road. That kinda ***** makes NO sense to me. What made him think that it was OK to endanger EVERY other life on that bridge, just so he could get his little thrills!??

Your comment: "Pretty harsh sentiment towards a young man who just lost his life." means NOTHING to me. I feel slightly bad for his family, but as for HIM... NOPE. He had ZERO respect for anyone else on the road that day and IMO, he got what he had coming to him.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Texas T
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He might have been riding like a moron but we all make mistakes
that doesnt mean he should have died...Very Sad

Quick Reply: Witnessed a fatal motorcycle accident.