General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Medical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006 | 09:16 PM
Rick51
|
Account Deactivated
Default Medical Problem

I winterized my Ultra last week. Good thing I did. Saturday I was going to my daughters house ( in my truck ) and got about 50 miles from home when my Sciatic nerve started acting up. (2nd time in 3 weeks.). I turned around and came home. By the time I got home I could hardly walk. I am currently in therapy for the next 4 weeks. When it hit me I dropped to my knees it hurt so bad. Does anyone else have this condition and does it effect you when you ride? I can't remember having a pain so bad, from my butt to my foot.

Old 10-30-2006 | 09:18 PM
Tactical1
Tourer
Default RE: Medical Problem

ORIGINAL: Rick51

I winterized my Ultra last week. Good thing I did. Saturday I was going to my daughters house ( in my truck ) and got about 50 miles from home when my Sciatic nerve started acting up. (2nd time in 3 weeks.). I turned around and came home. By the time I got home I could hardly walk. I am currently in therapy for the next 4 weeks. When it hit me I dropped to my knees it hurt so bad. Does anyone else have this condition and does it effect you when you ride? I can't remember having a pain so bad, from my butt to my foot.
I had back surgery after having bad sciatica due to ruptured discs.

The secret is to stay in shape and lose the gut...if you have one.

I can ride all day with no problems.

Old 10-30-2006 | 09:27 PM
Towpro
Banned

Wow Rick, glad you wasn't on the scoot, that coulda been bad. Hope the therapy helps, hang in there man & good luck.

Old 10-30-2006 | 10:10 PM
Rick51
|
Account Deactivated

Thanks towpro..............I was headed your way too. My daughter lives in South Riding, va.

Old 10-30-2006 | 10:12 PM
IRready
Road Master

[/quote]

I had back surgery after having bad sciatica due to ruptured discs.

The secret is to stay in shape and lose the gut...if you have one.

I can ride all day with no problems.

[/quote]

I had the same sugery.. DITTO on your advice.

Old 10-30-2006 | 10:15 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Rick, go slow and get well. Will pray for back to be healed.

Old 10-30-2006 | 10:19 PM
bman110
4th Gear

Sorry to hear about that. Have the therapist do light traction on your back if they can. Worked for me about 2 years ago, had the same pain you do and after a couple of sessions in light traction pain went away. Work out twice a week now but still working on the gut thing. Sometimes surgery is the only way if it's bad enough. Good luck and give it time to heal before working it again, that's the hard part.

Old 10-30-2006 | 10:29 PM
hdl
Novice

This happened to me in Spring 2000. Quack Dr. gave me anti-inflamation medicine and neglected to tell me the cause. I next saw him in the hospital after the disc in my back herniated that Novemeber.
I did EXTENSIVE aquadic therapy and things started getting better in March 01.
No surgury, and have very little trouble today. Ride all day not problem. Last year had one 550 mile day.
I tell the wife that the engine vibration on the electra glide is just like therapy!

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2006 | 10:34 PM
Towpro
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rick51

Thanks towpro..............I was headed your way too. My daughter lives in South Riding, va.
No problem, hope your feeling better soon.

South Riding 3 miles from my tow lot, let me know if daughter ever needs a tow, I give HDF members a discount....$$$

Old 10-30-2006 | 10:39 PM
Stogie
Cruiser

I woke up one morning in 1996 and couldn't feel my right leg. I had back surgery where they scrapped my nerve.
After 6 weeks of rehab I was back to work. The nueosurgeon did a good job and I'm till kickin' today.
Now I've got artheritis in both knees......
Gettin' old in body, not spirit!
My prayers are with you.
Stogie

Quick Reply: Medical Problem