General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stern advice to stand down

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjimbo
Dad,
Sounds like you raised a fine son, even if he gets the bike, does not mean he will be a bad dad, and if he's riding with you, better than him being out drinking with his buddies, and you can make sure he gets home on time........
Kind of hard to tell him not to ride when you do it yourself. kinda the reason I stopped smokin'..........
I wiped my kid's ***'s when they were little, stayed up all night with them when they were sick......I'll tell them what to do till the day I die.......whether they do it is up to them though, and gives me the option of "I told you so"...........
Yeah. I still think my kids owe me for wiping their ***. And even though they're gonna hear my 2 cents forever, I know they won't always listen. And that makes me proud. I agree with the OP, bad timing. If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he is the responsible man you say he is, then why would you have to worry about him not spending time and raising his child. Every parent is entitled to some down time and a break, if he so wishes to spend that time riding it's his prerogative. Hell, it's the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Why can't he do both - raise a family and ride???? Just because he has a bike doesn't mean he needs to ride every weekend and all weekend, right?

Now, this is completely different if he has no money for payments. If he's light in the wallet, have him look on CL for an older Sporty - plenty out there for well under $5k.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I applaud your effort to steer him towards his 'family' responsibilities, but you state that he is financially capable to have the scoot and IS a responsible young man. Unless getting the bike will cause a big problem between he and his wife, I think you should support his decision, or wish to get the bike.

You will still be able to guide him towards his "family time" and can even be more influential if you back him up. Maybe talk to his wife and assure her you can be more persuasive if you support his decision. And if you can get her to support it, he will have you to thank.

I think he's feeling the pressure of his upcoming responsibilities and needing an outlet for the stress. This is a great way to help him deal with the stress and guide him so he still gets enough family time to be a good dad and husband.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

"Stand down???" What the hell does that mean? It's none of your damn business and if my pops ever talked to me like that after I was on my own, he sure wouldn't see his grandkids...

What a crock. Stand down, like you're General Patton or something.

Sheesh...

Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

As long as he can afford the minvan for the family and the bike let him get both. That being said your Dad duties don't just end when they hit 18, but they do change. Now we are just in an advisory position.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Expecting a 1st child is a life changing event in a man’s life, and a time to plan what kind of lifestyle the family will soon have. Think of it as a practice mid-life crisis.

Your son seems to have an optimistic view of his future, & if a used Sportster can bring happiness into their future, it sounds like a responsible plan.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have hobbies (Motorcycle) and a family too. Just because you have a child doesn't mean you can never have time for yourself, just not as much as you use to have

Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I think it's your son's decision not yours. My old man would never have told me what to do after I was out and married.

Quick Reply: Stern advice to stand down