Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to look like Grizzley Adams to have a HD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 AM
glydman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to look like Grizzley Adams to have a HD?

In the past, I’ve talked to people who say “no I don’t want a Harley, because I don’t have the look. Like a beard, goatee, tattoos, long hair or bald, the grizzled look.”

I’ve been riding 40 years and never had a look. I have been told that I look act and sound different when I come off a day’s ride. They say before you go, you look and act tense, lines in your face from stress. When I come back, I sound quite and content, no lines of stress, calm and happy.

Like they say… You ever notice that you never see a motorcycle parked out front of a therapist or psychologist office?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:34 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glydman
In the past, I’ve talked to people who say “no I don’t want a Harley, because I don’t have the look. Like a beard, goatee, tattoos, long hair or bald, the grizzled look.”

I’ve been riding 40 years and never had a look. I have been told that I look act and sound different when I come off a day’s ride. They say before you go, you look and act tense, lines in your face from stress. When I come back, I sound quite and content, no lines of stress, calm and happy.

Like they say… You ever notice that you never see a motorcycle parked out front of a therapist or psychologist office?
No, but I think it voids your warranty if you don't.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread made me laugh because I get the same thing, "you don't look like a Harley rider." Let's see, I wear prescription glasses, don't have a beard or goatee, have most of my hair, don't have a tatoo or long hair. Yup, I'm not a Harley rider, I'm just another poser. Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm not 40 pounds overweight ;-)

Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Just go to a big bike ride or ralley. You certainly can see ALL kinds, types, shapes and sizes. Have often said while watching bikers come and go that you can find such a huge range of people on bikes. Amusing at times.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

The only requirement to be a Harley rider, is to ride a Harley!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure hope not. Lost 50 lbs since Feb 15 and I would rather not put it back on.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
if you do go the Grizzly Adams look, make sure you have the Bear riding bitch....

Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No. I've been riding a long time, however; this is my 1st HD and frankly I love the bike, but I've never seen so much mumbo jumbo about looks and HD since I got on this site. I too have even asked the functionability question about chaps and is this patch ok question becuase of what I have read. I did not know there wa a certina level of etiquete(spelling). I have found alot of responses that truly are useful, some of the patch stuff I did not know. I have aslo found alot of "I would nver wear chaps there for queers" stuff.
All in all I get a laugh out of it. I ride my raod sofa as it is called by some, wear my vest with my HOG patch on the back, I'm not in a chapter but I think the patch is cool, so I guess I am whatever people want to think I am, frankly I really dont care if other people on this site put me down for it, just shows there not willing to give a person the time to get to know them and judge them on what they like, as for others who say stuff, well no one really says anything to me for riding a motorcycle, if they do I ask do you ride, the answer is usually no, but I would like to.
Life is way too short for would have should have and could have. Get on a bike and ride I dont care what kind of bike just get out there and ride. I say stop looking at me and ride. In short, no grizzly here just a lover of all things motorcycle!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So far the only requirement I've known to be a HD rider is to have some access to $$$, the bike only seems to be the down payment, lol. I just checked the miror, and I don't seem to have any of the other features.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I could give a crap what you look like as long as you're a decent person and just enjoy riding. Lets ride!

Oh, you do have to be a proficient rider, if you're not, get some training.

Nothing bugs me more than someone out riding a 900 lb Harley that doesn't know what the're doing.

Quick Reply: Do you have to look like Grizzley Adams to have a HD?